MANILA- The Department of Transportation can resume maintenance work on train lines during the extended Luzon lockdown as long as precautionary measures against COVID-19 are observed, Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said Tuesday.
The government's pandemic response inter-agency task force approved the transportation department's request to allow the resumption of works across 13 rail projects including the MRT-3, Nograles said.
The transportation department, according to Nograles, must adhere to the following rules:
- Limit staffing to a skeletal workforce pattern
- Provide accommodations or point-to-point shuttle services
- Regular disinfection of workplaces, shuttles, and accommodations
- Regular monitoring of personnel's health especially for COVID-19 symptoms
- Strict physical distancing measures and proper hand hygiene
- Implementation of COVID-19 precautionary measures at all times.
Mass transportation systems were suspended from March 17 as the government quarantined over 50 million people in Luzon. The lockdown was extended until April 30.