MANILA - Suppliers are "playing catch up" following "initial confusion" on the movement of goods under Luzon's lockdown until April 12 due to the COVID-19 outbreak, a group said Sunday.
Carlo Curay, president-elect of the Supply Chain Management Association of the Philippines, made the remark after the Philippine Association of Meat Processors Inc. earlier warned that its inventory of processed products has dwindled to only 15 days or less.
"There was initial confusion in the movement of cargo. So, there was a lot of blockages, a lot of raw materials that hasn’t reached factories. But with the current, (clearer) guidelines and faster movement of goods, I believe we can catch up in terms of food production," Curay told ANC.
"We're actually playing catch up to get back to where we need to be. A lot of our colleagues in the industry are moving the goods faster and doubling their time to get back to where we need to be."
Metro Manila was placed under community quarantine on March 15 due to "sustained community transmission" of the novel coronavirus. Two days later, the whole of Luzon was placed on lockdown in a bid to contain the pandemic, which has so far killed 25 in the country.
Government earlier set special lanes for cargoes to ensure unhampered delivery.
"As long as cargo is unhampered, I don’t think there will be any problems in terms of supply," Curay said.
"Hopefully by next week and the weeks after, there’s no stoppage of any supply in terms of food and all."