MANILA - (UPDATE) PLDT Inc chairman Manuel Pangilinan is undergoing self-quarantine after attending an event with a confirmed COVID-19 patient, the company's public affairs chief confirmed on Thursday.
Ramon Isberto, PLDT head of public affairs, said Pangilinan was restricting his movement and not going to office as part of protocol and recommended precautions amid the outbreak.
Pangilinan was with Transport Secretary Arthur Tugade during an NLEx inspection with President Rodrigo Duterte on March 5.
Tugade has since gone under self-quarantine, while President Duterte is being tested for the disease.
Also present at the NLEX inspection were Sen. Bong Go, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, and Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Governor Benjamin Diokno. Medialdea and Diokno also volunteered to undergo self-quarantine.
Isberto said Pangilinan is doing well and has no symptoms, but could not confirm if the PLDT chief had already undergone testing for COVID-19.
"He is fine and doing OK," Isberto said. He added that Pangilinan was not in close contact with the individual who tested positive for COVID-19.
PLDT meanwhile is implementing several measures to protect its personnel and customers amid the virus outbreak, Isberto said.
"These measures include travel bans to affected countries, as well as limitations on domestic air travel."
The company has also stopped accepting visitors to its offices and facilities, and is limiting face-to-face meetings in favor of virtual meetings and other digital or online office solutions.
PLDT has also set up work-from-home procedures for its employees.
The telco has around 16,000 employees, many of whom are in Metro Manila which has several confirmed cases of COVID-19.
Isberto said the company is also encouraging customers to use online payments and other digital customer service tools for their safety amid the virus outbreak. - With a report from Warren de Guzman, ABS-CBN News