MANILA -- The Filipino-Chinese consortium that operates the Philippines' electricity grid blocked 100 attacks last year, an official told a Senate investigation on Monday.
The attacks on the National Grid Corp should be studied carefully since there could be a blackout should one succeed, said Senator Sherwin Gatchalian who led the inquiry. He recalled a 2016 hacking that left thousands without power in Ukraine.
"Kung meron 100 na attacks, anytime puwede tayo mawalan ng kuryente at di natin alam san nanggagaling," said Gatchalian. "Even if it's just one attack, we should panic."
(If we have 100 attacks, we can lose power anytime and we don't know where the attack came from.)
The president of the NGCP, Alvin Almeda, revealed the attacks, adding, "What is important is how fast do we respond. We have been attacked 100 times last year."
Almeda said the attacks were blocked. He did not elaborate. The attacks were also unreported.
A "strong" cybersecurity infrastructure safeguards the grid against cyber attacks, said NGCP spokesperson Cynthia Alabanza.