MANILA - Malacañang on Sunday defended President Rodrigo Duterte's order to airport authorities to cut ties with a ground service provider after a baggage theft incident.
Miascor on Friday said it would ask Duterte to reconsider his position on behalf of its 4,000 employees who will lose their jobs.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque, however, brushed aside Miascor's appeal saying the contract of the service provider had already expired.
"So nothing to appeal as there is no existing contract," Roque said.
Six Miascor employees have been charged for allegedly ransacking the bag of an overseas Filipino worker at the Clark International Airport earlier this month.
Roque, meanwhile, said qualified personnel from Miascor will be absorbed by other existing ground handlers.
"Fact is the jobs are there so these will be filled up either by new hires or qualified staff from Miascor," Roque said.
He added that airport authorities assured the Palace that the termination of Miascor will not lead to service disruptions that will affect the travelling public. -- With a report from Vivienne Gulla