MANILA, Philippines - Senior citizens will start enjoying a 5% discount on their electricity and water bills this January.
Separate statements from the power sector watchdog Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) and water services Maynilad confirmed this on Wednesday.
According to the ERC, senior citizens may avail of the discount if they meet the following criteria:
- monthly electricity consumption does not exceed 100 kilowatthour
- installed electricity meter is registered under the name of the senior citizen
- other qualification requirements
According to Maynilad, the senior citizens' water service connection must meet the following criteria to qualify for the discount:
- classified under the Residential or Semi-Business category,
- registered in the name of the senior citizen
- monthly basic consumption of the account does exceed 30 cu.m.
Discount on electricity
ERC executive director Francis Saturnino Juan said the senior citizen discount will likely take effect 15 days after the rules for the discount is published.
"We are targeting to publish the new rules within this week or early next week," Juan said. "The rules will still be published in a newspaper. Effectivity is 15 days thereafter."
Other conditions for a senior customer to qualify for the discount will be determined by the implementing rules and regulation of Republic Act No. 9994, which grants the 5% discount, and the supplemental rules that the ERC will issue.
The law's implementing rules and regulations (IRR), which took effect on July 6, 2010, tasked ERC to come up with the supplementing guidelines within 6 months from that said date.
Distribution utilities (DU) -- which include Manila Electric Company (Meralco), electric cooperatives, and others -- will then start implementing the discount after the DU approves the senior citizens' application is approved.
Aside from the discount to be enjoyed by the senior citizens, the ERC said the government institution or non-stock, non-profit domestic organizations caring for senior citizens shall be entitled to 50% discount on their monthly electricity bill.
Discount on water
The senior citizen discount on water consumption, on the other hand, is effective immediately.
To avail of the discount, Maynilad said the senior citizen or his/her authorized representative should submit the following:
- accomplished application form
- photocopy of the Senior Citizen ID card issued by the Office of the Senior Citizens Affairs (original ID should be presented to Maynilad for proper verification),
- Statement of Account (water bill)
- special power of attorney executed by the senior citizen in favor of the authorized representative (if applicable).
Maynilad is the private water and wastewater services provider for the West Zone, which is composed of the cities of Manila (all but portions of San Andres and Sta. Ana), Quezon City (west of San Juan River, West Avenue, EDSA, Congressional, Mindanao Avenue, the northern part starting from the Districts of the Holy Spirit and Batasan Hills), Makati (west of South Super Highway), Caloocan, Pasay, Parañaque, Las Piñas, Muntinlupa, Valenzuela, Navotas and Malabon-all in Metro Manila; Cavite City, and the towns of Bacoor, Imus, Kawit, Noveleta and Rosario-all in Cavite Province.