Do you notice a scary amount of hair strands on your pillow in the morning? When you part your hair, do you get alarmed by an exceedingly visible scalp? Does it feel like it’s taking forever to grow your hair?
You may be experiencing thinning hair, which may be caused by several factors: stress, an unhealthy lifestyle, using the wrong hair products, aging, and genetics, among others. We know that’s a lot but don’t get overwhelmed.
Years of research on thinning hair have provided solutions to this problem, both temporary and permanent.
In the new episode of ANCX’s Man Hacks, celebrity grooming expert and fitness coach Jigs Mayuga says that the first step to fixing your thinning hair issues is to accept that the problem exists. Second is to identify the problem areas: for men, these areas are usually the forehead and the crown. Thirdly, browse through your old photos and see where the big difference lies.
Jigs, who likes to experiment with his hair, dispenses a few quick-fix tricks to make hair look fuller:
1. Conceal. Hair concealers have become common nowadays. In fact, both men and women use these add-ons to hide their scalp. Although they’re non-permanent and may come off after shampooing, this is an instant solution if that’s what you’re looking for. Look at it as a special occasion lifesaver.
2. Choose which side you part. As a general rule, Jigs says, parting your hair in the middle accentuates thinning hair because it makes a big part of your scalp more visible. Try going for a deep side part (if your hair length allows it). This way, you add more volume to your hair.
3. Use a texturizer. This product may be found in the same lane or section as the hair concealer. A texturizer will give your hair instant volume, especially if it is naturally flat. To apply, spread on palms and distribute evenly on hair strands. Be warned, though: Never apply too much as it can weigh your hair down and make it look even thinner and less full.
4. Trim. Ironically, snipping off a few centimeters of your hair regularly can promote hair growth and healthy hair. Besides, the longer the hair, the more it loses volume. For men who have less hair on top, a buzz cut may be the perfect fit. Meanwhile, for those who have more hair on top, experiment with a crew cut or undercut.
5. Follow a routine. And more importantly, be conscious of the products you use on your hair as you do your haircare regimen. Products that contain harsh chemicals will not only hasten hair thinning but might also cause damage to scalp and other parts of the skin. One brand of haircare product Jigs suggests in Manhacks is Novuhair which is proudly Philippine-made. Its products contain a combination of natural ingredients and essential oils that are formulated to stop hair loss.
Regular use of Novuhair products may decrease hair shedding and reduce the size of bald patches. Consequently, it may also increase hair density and thickness.
Thinning hair can cause stress to a lot of people, and it may have a distressing effect on your confidence. If you’re experiencing these problems, the solutions above are early steps to having heathier, fuller, and thicker hair. Because giving up on your crowning glory should not be an option.