For those who remember what pre-COVID nights out were like, the Metro Manila bar scene has been sorely missed. Dynamic and innovative, the metro’s top bartenders had been busy mixing drinks for an avid public, from classic cocktails to out-of-the-box concoctions, before the community quarantine shut down their bars. But with these establishments remaining closed for the foreseeable future, the bar-going public is thirsty for the fun and camaraderie of bar life, and bartenders are raring to oblige.
With that in mind, ANCX is launching the Cheers to the Man campaign to bring a taste of top bars’ signature offerings to people’s homes. It’s also one small but significant way to support the community of bar owners and bartenders who are stuck at home, waiting for the day they can open again and truly revive their businesses.
For ANCX Cheers to the Man, eight of the best bars in Metro Manila will be offering curated menus of their signature drinks to the public from June 12 to July 3, 2020. The participating bars are Buccaneers Rum & Cocktails, EDSA Beverage Design Group, Nokal, OTO, The Back Room, The Curator Coffee & Cocktails, The Spirits Library, and Yes Please.
Delivered straight to people’s homes, these specially created drinks can be simply poured into a glass or mixed together, no specialized bar tools required. But for those who want to delve deeper into the drinks craft and culture, Cheers to the Man also offers cocktail mix sets and bar tools courtesy of Philippine Bar Products, available to order at (0917) 825-3263.
To continue the fun, ANCX will be hosting “Cocktail Party at Home,” a livestreamed party happening on June 19 as a prelude to Father’s Day. The idea is to order drinks for yourself (or your fathers) any time until the June 17 cutoff for delivery by June 18, and then enjoy them in the comfort of your home the following evening, while watching expert bartenders mix cocktails and a guest DJ spins 80’s and 90’s music via Facebook Live on ANCX’s Facebook page.
The ordering is simple. Just contact the participating bar directly, and follow their instructions for payment and delivery. You can order any time between June 12 and July 3 with the drinks to be delivered by Mr. Speedy Eats (except for Yes Please which uses its own in-house delivery service).
You may also like:
For those curious to sample Cheers to the Man’s curated menu of drinks, here’s what our participating bars have specially concocted:
Buccaneers Rum & Cocktails
This pirate-themed bar celebrates rums from all around the world, with these imaginative tropical-style drinks perfect for a party. To order, call (0917) 188-9494 or DM @buccaneers_ph on Instagram.
- Daiquiri mixed with Plantation 3 Stars Rum, lime juice, sugarcane syrup, P390 (250 ml/3 servings)
- Strawberry Margarita with Ocho Blanco Tequila, strawberry purée, lime juice, agave syrup, P490 (250 ml/2 servings)
- Buccaneers Sangria using Hennessy VS Cognac, Dow’s Fine Tawny Port, maraschino liqueur, strawberry purée, Cabernet Sauvignon red wine, P590 (500 ml/3 servings)
- Tropical Negroni featuring pineapple rum, mango rum, Mancino Rosso Vermouth, Biercee bitter, P790 (250 ml/3 servings)
Edsa BDG (Beverage Design Group)
More of a studio not a bar, this group specializes in developing curated beverage programs for various establishments, involving alcoholic, non-alcoholic, and coffee drinks. To order, message (0995) 495-0359 via Viber or WhatsApp, or visit @edsabdg on Instagram or Facebook.
- Old Faithful featuring pomelo, Bourbon whiskey, honey, elderflower, and mint, P1,500 (750 ml)
- Carl’s Wink made with Bourbon whiskey, bitter spiced water, and sugar, P1,500 (750 ml)
- Nut Milk Cold Brew or an espresso blend brewed for 24 hours and filtered with nut milk, P160
- TBGB Ginger Beer Original, non-carbonated with turmeric, ginger, simple syrup, P100 (245 ml)
This New York-inspired concept offers hearty fare, complemented by a wide array of drinks and draft beers, and now its extra special Best Father’s Day Movies Cocktail Series. To order, call NOKAL’s drive-by diner hotline (02) 775-12790, (0917) 318-1385 or visit @nokal.mnl on Instagram.
- Pursuit of Happiness featuring Jameson, Stout Beer Reduction, chocolate and Angostura bitters, and dehydrated orange, for P250 (1 serving) and P600 (3 servings)
- Taken made with Bombay Sapphire, Campari, Bell Pepper Vermouth, lemon twist, P250 (1 serving) and P600 (3 servings)
- Big Daddy mixed with Cazadores Tequila, Aperol, blood orange syrup, soda water, gummy candy skewers, P250 (1 serving) and P600 (3 servings)
- Joe’s Brew Fish Rider Pale Ale, P120 (330-ml bottle)
To complement the drinks, Nokal is also offering its bestselling The Party Melt, made with cheddar, Provolone, caramelized onions, white sauce, and 100% USDA beef patty sandwiched between slices of sourdough, best paired with a bottle or two of Joe’s Brew beer, for P335.
- Escape made with blended whisky, Cognac, pineapple, coconut water, spiced syrup, milk, P850 (2 servings)
- Old Fashioned with bourbon whiskey, sugar, Angostura bitters, P850 (3 servings)
- Smoke & Coffee featuring blended whisky, peated whisky, coffee-infused sweet Vermouth, honey, P850 (2 servings)
- Milky Way by EDSA BDG cold brew coffee, P180
As an added treat, OTO also offers its signature Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies to enjoy with its drinks, priced at P1,000 for 1 dozen, P500 for half-dozen.
The Back Room
Ranked number 45 among Asia’s 50 Best Bars for 2020, this bar continues to impress with its very own house gin called Bee’s Knees. To order, call (0917) 536-3287 or send a DM to @backroomph on Instagram.
- Oaxacan Prescription featuring Tequila Ocho Blanco, grapefruit soda réduction, fennel, green cardamon, citrus (contains lactose), P980 (500 ml)
- Bushido mixing Four Pillars Rare Dry Gin, Mancino Sakura Vermouth, aloe vera, citrus, botanicals (contains lactose), P980 (500 ml)
- The Bee’s Knees Gin & Tonic Traveler comprises 1 mini bottle of Bee’s Knees Gin (120 ml) + Three Cents tonic water (200 ml), P450 (+ 1 bottle tonic) or P650 (+ 2 bottles tonic)
- The Bee’s Knees Gin & Tonic Experience comprises 1 bottle Bee’s Knees Gin (500 ml) + 4 bottles Three Cents tonic water (200 ml), P1,920
The Curator Coffee & Cocktails
This landmark bar has consistently ranked as the Best Bar on the Philippines and included in the Asia’s 50 Best Bars list since 2016, listing at number 42 this year. To order, visit https://delivery.thecuratorcoffeeandcocktails.com/ or @thecurator_ on Instagram.
- Cafe Milano made with Campari, coffee-infused Vermouth, Black Walnut bitters, tonic water, P1,100 (3 servings + 2 bottles tonic water)
- Nazareno featuring mezcal, agave, mole, lime, P900 (2 servings)
- Espresso with Milk cold brewed for 24 hours then filtered using Edsa YKW DMT coffee beans, P150
- Burning Green juice made with green apple, ginger, lemon, P180
The Spirits Library
Called a “purveyor of rare bottles, books, and bar paraphernalia,” this bar boasts a lineup of award-winning bartenders. To order, call (0917) 160 1162, or visit www.fb.com/TheSpiritsLibrary or @thespiritslibrary on Instagram.
- Adam’s Apple with Benchmark Bourbon, cinnamon-infused Plantation rum, pineapple juice, apple syrup, Angostura bitters, P200 (1 serving) or P1,300 set of 1 bottle Bourbon with mixers, good for 5 cocktails
- Cell No. 7 featuring Tanqueray gin, soju, Cinzano Dry Vermouth, local honey, lemon juice, P250 (1 serving) or P1,900 set of 1 bottle gin with mixers, good for 5 cocktails
- Hot Scotch Daddy with Copper Dog Scotch, local honey, Earl Grey, cinnamon, star anise, orange slices, hot water, P300 (1 serving) or P700 (3 servings)
- Il Notorio with Ardbeg Islay Single Malt Scotch, Campari, Cynar, Cinzano Dry Vermouth, and a drop of olive oil, P480 (1 serving) or P1,200 (3 servings)
Known for its strong cocktail menu, this bar owned by Erwan Heussaff offers the following cool drinks. For orders, call or text (0917) 680-8888 or (0917) 689-8888 or visit @thepalaceathome on Instagram.
- 1-800 Sangria made with Hennessy VS, Benchmark Cabernet Sauvignon, raspberry, strawberries, lime, P800 (250 ml/2 servings)
- Dick Dastardly using Tanqueray Gin, Benedictine, calamansi, pandan, lemon, P600 (250 ml/2 servings) and P1,200 (500 ml/4 servings)
- Fever Negroni featuring a combination of Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum infused with jackfruit, sweet Vermouth, and Campari, P600 (250 ml/2 servings) and P1,200 (500 ml/4 servings)
- Last Mariachi inspired by the classic Last Word, using Jose Cuervo Reposado, Luxardo Maraschino, Green Chartreuse, green apple, and lime, P600 (250 ml/2 servings) and P1,200 (500 ml/4 servings)