All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
December 28, 2020 (updated)
The DoH reports 776 new cases today, lower than yesterday’s already surprisingly low 883 newly reported cases. Davao City, however, reported the highest number of new cases, with Quezon City in second spot. The provinces of Benguet, Laguna and Rizal round up the rest of the top five for the day.
Note again that the number of individuals that were reported as tested on December 27 were less than 9,500, with only 601 positive among them, for a daily positive rate of 6.4 percent. This may mean that we may still be seeing lower numbers tomorrow.
In terms of new deaths, the DoH reports 15 today.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- NCR continued to be the epicenter in the country with 233 new cases yesterday, accounting for approximately one-fourth of the cases in the country.
- Quezon City remained the top hauler among cities/municipalities with 50 new cases.
- Only one other region reported triple digits – CALABARZON.
- Benguet led with 74 new cases among provinces.
- The other provinces in the top 10 were a mixed bag—areas from the northernmost to the southernmost parts of the country.
- Eight of 17 cities in NCR were among the top 20 cities/municipalities with highest cases yesterday, with Quezon City leading the list.
- Three cities/municipalities in Benguet were in the top 20 – Baguio City, Itogon and La Trinidad.
- One municipality and one city were new entrants to the top 20 – Kapalong in Davao del Norte and Tanjay City in Negros Oriental.
With 447,261 new cases, the world is now past the 81 million mark. Meanwhile, there are 7,422 new deaths. The lower numbers globally may be due to the long Christmas holidays in several countries in various continents.
The United States continues to lead in both new cases and new deaths overnight in spite of the lower numbers reported.
Russia now crosses the next million mark with 3,050,248 total coronavirus cases, and there are now 18 nations with more than 1,000,000 cases with South Africa joining the list.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.18 percent.
- Three European nations were among the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – UK, Turkey, and Germany.
- Surprisingly, Canada made it to the top 10 list for new confirmed cases in a single day with more than 10,000 cases, a record high for the country.