All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
December 26, 2020 (updated)
The DoH reports 1,406 new cases today, Saturday, with the province of Bulacan topping the list of areas with highest number of new cases. The only city in the top five is Quezon City. The others are Rizal, Laguna, and Batangas—all in CALABARZON. There are 5 new deaths posted in the Philippines.
With today’s numbers, the Philippines slips down one rank to 29th position as Pakistan overtakes the country.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- NCR continued to be the epicenter in the country with 530 new cases yesterday or 28.2 percent of the total.
- Quezon City reported 130 cases, the highest on a city/municipality level in the country. Based on data of the DOH, Quezon City had 38,846 cases as of yesterday or based on per capita, 1,325 per 100,000 population.
- The surprise was Eastern Visayas which jumped to second spot on a regional level, replacing erstwhile CALABARZON.
- Four other regions aside from NCR reported triple digits – Eastern Visayas, CALABARZON, Central Luzon and Davao Region.
- Two provinces registered triple digits – Bulacan and Davao del Sur.
- Three provinces in Eastern Visayas were in the top ten – Leyte, Western Samar, and Biliran.
- Four provinces in Region IVA continue to remain in the top ten – Rizal, Laguna, Cavite and Batangas.
- Ten of 17 cities in NCR were among the top twenty cities/municipalities with highest cases yesterday with Quezon City the only city reporting triple digits. The disturbing part of the data is that 7 cities in the NCR ranked from 3rd to 9th spots.
- Three cities/municipalities in Leyte were among the top twenty – Alangalang (a second class municipality), Palo (a third class municipality), and Tacloban City.
Christmas Day saw the world cross the 80 million mark in Covid cases with 30 percent still active. The 472,443 new cases and 8,374 new deaths reported yesterday were much lower, probably mainly due to the Christmas Day holiday.
The United States continues to lead in both new cases and new deaths overnight in spite of the lower numbers reported.
Ukraine, the country that most recently joined the list of countries with more than a million cases, continues to have more cases than Peru, pushing it up to the 16th rank.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.19 percent.
- Five European nations were among the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – UK, France, Italy, Germany and Turkey.
While we’re really focused on the numbers in the Philippines, it’s important to stay focused also on how we are faring compared to other countries and ASEAN neighbors.
In terms of number of cases, Indonesia is in 20th spot in the world with more than 700,000 cases and close to 21,000 deaths as of yesterday. Counting the number of cases does not provide an actual picture of cases and deaths based on the population of the country. While the Philippines may rank 28th in the world, it has the highest number of deaths in the region and is second to Singapore in terms of highest number of cases per capita.