All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
December 25, 2020 (updated)
The DOH reported 1,885 new cases of coronavirus Friday, Christmas Day, the highest number of new cases since December 18, 2020. Quezon City continues to post the highest number of cases in any city or municipality in the country. Davao City is the second city in the top five.
The provinces of Bulacan, Rizal and Leyte round up the top five.
There were 7 new deaths reported.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- NCR continued to be the epicenter in the country with 506 new cases yesterday – that’s 28.5% of the total cases for yesterday.
- Quezon City reported 128 cases on a city/municipality level, the highest in the country yesterday.
- Davao City came in second with 121 cases, the only other city with triple digits yesterday.
- Five other regions reported triple digits – CALABARZON, Eastern Visayas, Davao Region, Central Luzon, and Cordillera Administrative Region.
- On a provincial level, Davao del Sur was back on top with 122 new cases.
- Three provinces in Eastern Visayas were in the top ten – Leyte, Western Samar and Eastern Samar.
- Three provinces in Region IVA also landed in the top ten – Rizal, Laguna and Cavite.
- Twelve of seventeen cities in NCR were among the top twenty cities/municipalities with highest cases yesterday with Quezon City the only city reporting triple digits.
- The rest of the cities in the top twenty were a mixed bag of cities and municipalities from all over the country.
The world is now close to 80 million in total number of coronavirus cases with 658,947 new cases and 11,655 new deaths yesterday.
The United States continues to lead in both new cases and new deaths overnight. It now has a total of close to 19 million coronavirus cases.
Italy had 18,040 new cases reported, enough to push it past the 2,000,000 mark. There are now 17 countries with more than 1,000,000 coronavirus cases.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.19 percent.
- Five European nations were among the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – UK, Germany, France, Turkey and Italy.