All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
December 24, 2020 (updated)
The night before Christmas, the Health Agency reports 1,776 new cases with two cities reporting triple digits – Quezon City (128) and Davao City (121). This has been the highest number of new cases reported since December 18 where the 2,000 mark was breached.
The provinces of Rizal, Western Samar and Bulacan round up the top five for the day.
There were 7 new deaths reported.
Of the active cases, 10.3 percent are classified as asymptomatic. That means that approximately 2,700 of the active cases do not have symptoms, increasing the propensity for transmission of the virus during the holiday season.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- With 1,196 new cases reported yesterday, the 7-day average is up at 1,575 cases/day.
- NCR continued to be the epicenter in the country with 446 new cases yesterday. This was almost 40 percent of the total cases for a single day.
- Quezon City continued to lead with 123 cases on a city/municipality level. The City of Manila came in second with 74 cases and Makati came in third with 47. These three cities in Mega Manila alone accounted for over 20 percent of the total cases in the Philippines yesterday.
- CALABARZON was the only other region that contributed triple digit cases.
- On a provincial level, Rizal led the top ten. Four provinces in CALABARZON remained in the top ten provinces with most cases yesterday: Rizal, Batangas, Cavite and Laguna.
- For the first time, 13 of 17 cities in NCR were among the top 20 cities/municipalities with highest cases yesterday with Quezon City the only city reporting triple digits.
- Two municipalities in Rizal landed in the top 20 – Rodriguez (Montalban) and Cainta.
The world is now past 79 million in total number of coronavirus cases with 690,142 new cases and 13,436 new deaths yesterday.
The United States continues to lead in both new cases and new deaths overnight. It now has a total of close to 19 million coronavirus cases since the beginning of the pandemic.
There are now SEVENTEEN countries with more than 1,000,000 coronavirus cases. Ukraine officially joined the list yesterday.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.2 percent.
- Five European nations were among the top 10 contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – UK, Germany, Turkey, France and Italy.