All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
December 23, 2020 (updated)
The DoH reports 1,196 new cases today, and Quezon City brings in 10.3 percent of the total cases in the country. Two other cities were in the top five – the City of Manila and Davao City. Two provinces – Rizal and Batangas – round up the top five contributors to the haul of new cases.
There are 27 new deaths reported by the Health Agency.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- While there were only 1,314 new cases reported yesterday (lower than the 1,721 the previous day) the 7-day average is up at 1,569 cases/day.
- NCR continued to be the epicenter in the country with 342 new cases yesterday.
- Quezon City continued to lead the country with 93 cases on a city/municipality level.
- Three other regions reported triple digits – CALABARZON, CAR, and Central Luzon.
- The NCR contributed to more than one-fourth of the total cases in the Philippines with 342 new cases.
- The province of Benguet led the provinces with triple digits.
- For the first time, Misamis Occidental lands in the top ten provinces with most cases for a single day with 54 new cases.
- Eight of seventeen cities in NCR were among the top twenty cities/municipalities with highest cases yesterday with Quezon City continuously leading the pack with 93 cases.
- Northern Luzon had the highest number of cases yesterday with Benguet, Mountain Province and Kalinga reporting a total of 132 new cases.
- Benguet province had four cities/municipalities in the top twenty – Baguio City, La Trinidad, Itogon and Kapangan.
- It was the first time that Bontoc in the Mountain Province joined the top twenty cities/municipalities.
- It was also the first time that a city in Misamis Occidental joined the top twenty cities/municipalities, with Oroquieta City reporting 35 cases and landing in 5th spot yesterday.
The world is now past 78 million in total number of coronavirus cases with 642,206 new cases reported yesterday.
A new record high number of deaths for a single day was noted yesterday with 14,260 reported.
The United States continues to lead in both new cases and new deaths overnight. It now has a total of more than 18.6 million coronavirus cases since the beginning of the pandemic.
There are now 16 countries with more than 1,000,000 coronavirus cases. Peru is the 16th country to join the list.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.2 percent.
- Five European nations were among the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday -UK, Germany, Turkey, Italy and France.
As if the pandemic wasn’t already at its worse, Antartica, the only continent in the world that has so far been spared of coronavirus cases now officially joins the rest of world with 36 new infections (26 members of the Chilean Army and 10 maintenance workers) in an outbreak at the General Bernardo O’Higgins Riquelme research base.
The 36 individuals who tested positive have since been evacuated to the city of Punta Arenas in Chile.
General Bernardo O’Higgins Riquelme is one of 13 Chilean bases on the island.
Trying to keep the virus at bay in Antartica has come at a cost. All major research projects have been halted. As a result, research by scientists around the world has been interrupted.
While the continent has no permanent residents, its 1000 researchers and other visitors stay on the island over winter.