All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
December 22, 2020 (updated)
The DoH reports 1,314 new cases today, and Quezon City continues to lead the top five contributors to the pool of coronavirus cases in the Philippines. Davao City, with 60 cases, lands in fifth spot. The 3 provinces in the top five for the day are – Rizal, Benguet and Bulacan. The DoH also reports 66 new deaths. The sad part is that the national Rt is now up at 1.12 with NCR even higher at 1.18.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- Note the uptick in the 7-day average from 1,300 plus cases/day in the previous week to 1,543 cases/day yesterday. The graph below shows that gradual, yet dangerous rise in numbers.
- From 490 cases in the NCR the other day, new cases jumped to 578 new cases yesterday, showing an increase of almost 20 percent in a single day.
- In NCR, Quezon City continued to lead with triple digits and accounted for 33.2 percent (one-third) of the reported cases in the NCR.
- Five other regions reported triple digits – CALABARZON, Central Luzon, Cordillera Administrative Region, Eastern Visayas and Davao Region.
- The NCR contributed more than one-third of yesterday’s total cases, a marked increase from the 27 percent contribution the previous day.
- Davao del Sur had the highest number of cases outside of Mega Manila
- All 5 provinces in CALABARZON – Rizal, Laguna, Cavite, Batangas, and Quezon – were in the top 10 on a provincial level.
- Eleven of 17 cities in NCR were among the top 20 cities/municipalities with highest cases yesterday with Quezon City again leading the pack with 142 cases.
- Five cities in NCR ranked from 2nd to 6th place among the top 20 cities/municipalities with most cases. Only Davao City outranked all other cities with 151 new cases announced yesterday.
- Baguio City, a favorite vacation spot during the holiday season was in third spot with 57 reported cases.
- There were three cities/municipalities in Benguet that were in the top twenty – Baguio City, La Trinidad, and Itogon.
With 552,680 new cases and 9,716 new deaths reported yesterday, the world moves closer to the 78 million mark total cases and over 1.7 million deaths due to COVID-19.
The United States continues to lead in both new cases and new deaths overnight. It now has a total of almost 18.5 million coronavirus cases since the beginning of the pandemic in their country.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.20 percent.
- Five European nations were among the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – UK (which was now in second spot among the top ten), Germany, Turkey, the Netherlands and Italy.