All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
December 21, 2020 (updated)
DoH reports 1,721 new Covid cases today. Davao City and Quezon City post 151 and 142 new cases, respectively, which means these two are responsible for 17 percent of the total cases in the country. The other city in the top five was the City of Manila.
The provinces of Rizal and Laguna had the highest numbers on a provincial level today. Meanwhile, the Health Agency also reports 10 new deaths.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- NCR continued to dominate the regions with almost 500 cases overnight.
- Quezon City continued to lead with triple digits and accounted for 33.2 percent (one-third) of the reported cases in the NCR.
- Five other regions reported triple digits – CALABARZON, Central Luzon, Cordillera Administrative Region, Eastern Visayas and Davao Region.
- Two provinces continued to report triple digits yesterday: Benguet and Rizal.
- Four provinces in CALABARZON were among the top ten: Rizal, Laguna, Batangas and Cavite.
- Ten of 17 cities in NCR were among the top twenty cities/municipalities with highest cases yesterday.
- Quezon City remained to be the only city/municipality in the country with triple digits – 163 cases.
- Davao City was in second with 61 cases.
- Baguio City, a favorite vacation spot during the holiday season was in third spot with 57 reported cases.
- There were four cities/municipalities in Benguet that were in the top 20– Baguio City, La Trinidad, Mankayan, and Itogon.
With 536,080 new cases reported and 7,561 new deaths globally on the weekend, the world has now more than 77.1 million cases and very close to 1.7 million deaths from COVID-19. (There are less cases reported in many countries of the world during weekends, which accounts for the fewer number of cases during the weekend.)
The United States continued to lead in both new cases and new deaths overnight. It now has more than 18,200,000 coronavirus cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Their case fatality rate remains at 1.78 percent.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.21 percent.
- Six European nations were among the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – UK (which is now on second spot among the top ten), Germany, Turkey, Italy, the Netherlands and France.