All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
December 18, 2020 (updated)
The country posts more than 1,491 new cases today. Quezon City, meanwhile, continues its triple digit streak and reports more than 1,000 new cases in over a week. The province of Rizal, on the other hand, continues to haul in the most cases among the provinces. There were 36 new deaths reported by the Health Agency, bringing up the case fatality rate to 1.95 percent.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- The last time the country breached the 2,000 mark was November 29, 2020. It, however, only stayed in those lower numbers for less than three weeks. Yesterday, the Philippines reported 2,122 new cases – almost one-third coming from Mega Manila alone.
- NCR contributed to more than 32 percent of yesterday’s cases. Quezon City surged with 160 cases, with Makati, Pasig, the City of Manila and Taguig contributing to more than 63 percent of the total cases of Metro Manila.
- Four other regions reported triple digits – CALABARZON, Central Luzon, Eastern Visayas and Cagayan Valley.
- Three provinces reported triple digits – Leyte, Rizal and Isabela.
- Three provinces in the CALABARZON – Rizal, Laguna and Cavite – were in the top ten provinces.
- Ten of 17 cities in NCR were among the top 20 cities/municipalities with highest cases yesterday, with Quezon City and Makati still topping the list.
- Davao City was the city outside of NCR with the highest number of cases by cities/municipalities.
- Two cities in Leyte remain among the top 20– Ormoc and Tacloban.
- One new entrant to the top twenty was Echague, a first class municipality in Isabela.
With 717,571 new cases reported in a single day and more than 12,500 new deaths globally, the world has now more than 76 million cases and close to 1.7 million deaths from COVID-19.
While the SARS-CoV-2 vaccines roll out in the United States, it still continues to lead among countries reporting close to 250,000 new cases and over 2,750 new deaths. At the current numbers, the US will most likely breach 18 million total cases very soon.
India has now more than 10 million cases, with Turkey and the UK most likely crossing the 2,000,000 mark tomorrow. Peru is also likely to join the million count very soon.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.21 percent.
- Five European nations were among the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – Germany, UK, Turkey, Italy and France.
- Germany announced 838 new deaths yesterday – their highest ever – which brings their case fatality rate up to 1.77 percent.