Disclosure: All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
December 08, 2020 (updated)
There are 1,400 newly confirmed cases reported in the Philippines today. For the first time since the beginning of the pandemic, the province of Benguet takes the over-all lead among the top five contributors in the country. The other two provinces in the top five include Rizal and Laguna, while Davao City and Quezon City have been on the leaderboard previously.
There are 98 new deaths reported, driving up the case fatality rate to 1.96 percent.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- With 1,574 new cases the other day, Mega Manila continues to be the major epicenter in the country, contributing close to one-fourth of the total cases yesterday.
- Three other regions reported triple digits: CALABARZON, Central Luzon and Davao Region.
- Outside of NCR, the provinces of Davao and Pampanga reported triple digits.
- Four provinces in CALABARZON contributed to the haul of the cases in the region – Rizal, Laguna, Batangas, and Cavite.
- Three provinces in Central Luzon were in the top ten – Pampanga, Bataan and Bulacan.
- Nine of 17 cities from Mega Manila were among the top 20 cities/municipalities with most cases.
- Davao City had the most number of cases on the city/municipality level in the country yesterday with 187 new cases.
Because we just came from a weekend, the report of new cases and deaths are lower. Nevertheless, the world managed to report close to 540,000 new cases and more than 8,600 new deaths. The total coronavirus cases is now close to the 68 million mark.
The United States continues to lead globally in both new cases and new deaths as it crosses the 15,000,000 threshold. The US alone contributed more than 20 percent to the number of cases and deaths globally.
There are now 14 countries with more than 1 million cases each.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.28 percent.
- Five European nations were among the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – Turkey, Germany, UK, Italy and Switzerland.