Disclosure: All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
November 28, 2020 (updated)
Davao City is back on top with the most cases in the country for the day. Included in the top five are three provinces – Negros Occidental, Western Samar and Pampanga. The only city in NCR in the top five is Quezon City, which incidentally led the haul for new cases in the country yesterday.
There were 79 new deaths reported today, bringing up the case fatality rate now to 1.95 percent.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- NCR had a significant increase in cases overnight: from an average of 325 cases in the past 7 days, it reported 550 cases overnight.
- Quezon City, the City of Manila, Caloocan, Makati and Taguig were significant contributors to the case haul in both NCR and the country.
- CALABARZON, Central Luzon, and Davao Region continued to report triple digits.
- Outside of the NCR, only Davao and Rizal reported triple digits.
- In the top 20 cities/municipalities with most cases, 12 cities were from the National Capital Region. This is troublesome because as the economy opens up during the holiday season, this may be an ominous indicator of rising numbers, especially in the most dense region in the nation.
- Davao City came in second yesterday.
With more than 660,000 new cases reported yesterday and over 10,000 new deaths, the world has now passed the 62,000,000 mark.
The United States continues to lead globally in both new cases and new deaths.
Because there are now 12 countries with more than 1 Million cases each, instead of posting the top ten, countries with one million and more cases will be announced.
Germany joins the million cases club as it recorded more than 20,000 new cases yesterday.
- Global case fatality rate is lower at 2.337 percent even with more than 10,000 deaths overnight due to the higher number of cases reported.
- Five European nations were among the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – Turkey, Italy, Germany, Poland, Ukraine and UK.
One of the most hardly hit countries in Europe is Poland.
A country with a population of less than 38,000,000 people is at number 13 among the world’s most number of coronavirus cases. With the current number of 7-day average of almost 20,000 cases/day, it is on track to being the next country to reach 1,000,000 total COVID cases.
It has overtaken Peru for the 13th spot overnight and remains in an upward trajectory in spite of seeing lesser than 20,000 cases a day.
Poland is one of the countries that has refused to institute any lockdown policy in spite of the overwhelming increase in cases from September to November.
Two weeks ago, the Polish prime minister noted the continued decline in cases in the country. But with more than 25,000 cases/million population, this nation in Europe saw a jump from 665,000 cases as of November 13, 2020 to 958,000 cases on November 27, 2020 – an increase of almost 300,000 in two weeks.
The million mark is just around the corner.