Disclosure: All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
October 28, 2020 (updated)
With 2,053 newly announced cases and 61 deaths reported, the Philippines now has a total of 375,180 coronavirus cases.
Top five localities (province/HUC/ICC for the day) has Caloocan City on top for the first time. Negros Occidental, which came on top yesterday, is third today and is the feature story for the day as the province records two cities and one municipality in the top twenty yesterday.
Benguet continues to be in the top five provinces/cities/municipalities with most reported cases today.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- Top 5 regions yesterday were: NCR, CALABARZON, Western Visayas, Cordillera Administrative Region and Davao Region.
- Among the provinces outside of NCR, Negros Occidental.
- Benguet, our feature story yesterday is reeling from an unprecedented outbreak in the mining areas and in Baguio City.
- Three provinces in Mindanao are in the top ten provinces outside of NCR with the most cases: Zamboanga del Sur, Davao del Sur and Misamis Oriental.
- Eight cities from NCR were in the top twenty cities/municipalities yesterday, with Quezon City leading the pack.
- Tuba, Benguet our feature story yesterday came in second followed by Davao City in third.
- Three cities/municipalities in Negros Occidental were in the top 20 – Cadiz City, City of Kabankalan and Calatrava.
The world quickly passed the 44,000,000 mark with over 450,000 new cases reported yesterday. The global 7-day average is now more than 450,000 cases/day, which shows the world is marking 1,000,000 new cases almost every 2 1/2 days.
The United States continued to have the highest number of cases and deaths yesterday and has crossed 9,000,000 total coronavirus cases.
The UK displaces Mexico to quickly move up from tenth to ninth place among the countries with top coronavirus cases.
- Global case fatality rate is seeing a decline of 0.1% daily: 2.65 percent
- The US remained in the lead for both most number of new confirmed cases and deaths yesterday. With the current daily average, it will undoubtedly break the 9,000,000 mark tomorrow. Only the US reported four digits for deaths.
- Six European nations were in the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – France, UK, Italy, Spain, Poland and Czechia. The least number of cases in the top ten was more than 15,000.
The Province of Negros Occidental
Known as the “Sugar bowl of the Philippines”, Negros Occidental produces more than half the sugar output in the country. The capital city of this province is Bacolod City – home to gustatory delights and heritage sites.
The capital is governed independently and is the seat of government in the province. The province has a population of close to 2.5 million (census of 2015) and is the most populated province in Region VI. It is actually the second most populated province in the Visayas after Cebu.
With a land area of more than 7,800 sq km. it has a density of 320 people/sq km.
This province has one independent city, 12 component cities, 19 municipalities and 601 barangays.
Yesterday, two cities and one municipality contributed to the haul of coronavirus cases in Negros Occidental: Cadiz City, City of Kabankalan (which already made a debut in this blog almost a month ago), and Calatrava.
Cadiz City is known for its fishing industry. Most of the larger sugar mills are found in Kabankalan, San Carlos, Silay and Victorias City. Calatrava is a first class municipality in Negros Occidental and with a land area greater than 500 sq km (5/6 the size of the whole National Capital Region) and a population of more than 80,000 people, it has a very low density of only 160 people/sq km. Sugarcane occupies the largest share of agricultural land, followed by rice and corn.
From March to July, Negros Occidental reported 576 cases (or an average of 115 cases a month).
For the month of August alone, it more than tripled the number of cases of the past 5 months by recording 2,102 new cases.
It doubled the August statistics with 4,405 cases for the month of September. From October 1-27 alone, it reported 2,238 cases.
To date, Negros Occidental has 9,321 coronavirus cases or more than 370 cases/100,000 population.