Disclosure: All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
October 24, 2020 (updated)
Top five localities (province/HUC/ICC for the day) are:
Unable to sustain the five day streak with less than 2,000 cases. However, if we look at only recent (October 10-24, 2020) cases reported by the Health Agency, the Philippines reported only 1,852 recent cases today.
There are now seven regions with triple digits (including NCR).
The province of Rizal tops today’s numbers.
Most of the deaths reported today were from NCR and CALABARZON.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- While NCR continues to chalk up a few more cases than the previous days, there has been a significant decline compared to the four digits reported daily in the past weeks.
- When broken down according to top 20 cities/municipalities, nine cities in the NCR were included.
- Davao City led among cities/municipalities of top 20 cities with the highest cases on October 22, 2020. Davao City has been in the top 20 cities/municipalities that contribute to the pool of coronavirus cases in the country for the week.
- Five cities in Mindanao were among the top 20 yesterday.
The world breaks a new world record in total number of cases – almost 500,000 just for a single day. At this rate, the world will replicate with almost 1,000,000 additional cases every 2-3 days.
The United States continued to have the highest number of cases and deaths reported yesterday as it is now in its third wave.
Cases in India and Brazil, while still high, have seen a significant decline and are much lower now.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.70 percent
- The US remains on top among countries with new cases and new deaths and is likely beginning a third wave. Out of 50 states, 29 states in the US reported four digit figures overnight.
- Five countries in Europe remained in the top 10 new cases yesterday – France, UK, Spain, Italy and Czechia – as many nations in Europe are battling a very brutal second wave. The least number of new cases in the top ten is now more than 15,000 cases per nation. France has another new record high number of cases with more than 42,000 reported and now join six other countries whose numbers are more than 1,000,000 total cases.
With increasing cases in the world, countries that are contributing significantly to the number of cases are mostly those in Europe and North America.
Data comparing the number of new cases overnight showed an almost 80,000 daily increase for Europe and 10,000 daily increase for North America. While there are slight increases in Africa and Oceania, these are minuscule compared to the second wave of the pandemic in Europe and the third wave in the United States.
The recent WHO global epidemiological situation report shows the significant increase (in green) among countries in Europe and the Americas (where it lumps both North and South America).
In the map provided below by the WHO, one can determine if the country has low, mid, high or very high levels of cases per million population in the last 7 days. This is updated in their website. The lighter hues show cases < 101 cases per million population (low) and 101-500 cases per million population (mid). This serves as the basis for the requirement of the Philippine government on the need for testing upon entry to the country or not.
As the winter season draws near, how will the control of the pandemic be addressed?