Disclosure: All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
October 10, 2020 (updated)
- 145 testing centers (110 RT-PCR and 35 GenExpert)
- 3,830,831 individuals tested (around 34,825 tests/million population) as of October 09 but reported on October 10.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- Cavite continued to lead with new cases among provinces in the CALABARZON region. All five provinces in the CALABARZON were (again) in the top ten.
- Two provinces in Western Visayas are also in the top ten with Iloilo and Negros Occidental bringing the haul.
- Eleven cities in the NCR were in the top twenty cities/municipalities.
- Iloilo City was third among the top cities/municipalities.
- Zamboanga City came in eighth.
- Four cities in Cavite (Dasmariñas, General Trias, Tanza and Imus) were in the top 20.
The world has officially crossed the 37,000,000 mark.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.89 percent
- The global 7-day average of cases is now close to 325,000 cases/day (or approximately 1,000,000 cases almost every 3 days).
- India continued to lead in both cases and deaths in the world.
- The United States is back at more than 60,000 cases yesterday.
- France marked a new daily high with more than 20,000 cases. It was enough to displace South Africa from tenth place. France now is back in the top ten countries in the world with the most number of cases.
Zamboanga City (Zamboanga Peninsula)
Almost 99 percent of cities/municipalities in daily top twenty cities/municipalities in the Philippines come from the most highly urbanized areas.
The past days, Zamboanga City has seen a resurgence in cases.
Zamboanga City is a first class highly urbanized city in the Zamboanga Peninsula. With a population of around 900,000 people, it is the third largest city by land area in the country, with a land area of more than 1,400 sq. km (more than twice the National Capital Region). It has a density of 610 people/sq km. (vs. Mega Manila’s 23,000/sq km).
Deep in history and political/religious struggle, Zamboanga City is the distinct owner to the title “beacon of democracy in Mindanao.”
The eclectic ethnicity in Zamboanga is responsible for the diverse cultural heritage of Zamboangueños and its language. Zamboanga is otherwise known as the Latin City of Asia.
Tourism, and the Zamboanga City Special Economic Zone make this southern most city in Mindanao an economic hub. With urbanization, this vibrant city in the south has earned its place as an industrial zone in the south.
Zamboanga City reported its first case on March 25 (swabbed March 16, 2020). It had two cases in March and 5 in April. In May it reported 138 cases followed by a downtrend in June with 61 cases.
In July it reported five times the number with 364 cases. And it has seen rising cases since – 614 in August, 628 in September and for the first week of October alone, 217 cases.
With a total of 2,029 cases and 91 deaths as of October 9, 2020, this province has one of the highest case fatality rate in the country – 4.48 percent.