Disclosure: All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
September 25, 2020 (updated)
- 2,630 newly reported cases today brings our total to 299,361 (we will cross the 300,000 threshold tomorrow)
- 41.5 percent of the total are from the National Capital Region.
- Of the 1,091 cases reported today from NCR, only 921 (84.4 percent) are recent (from September 12-25).
- Of the 2,630 cases, 88.5 percent or 2,327 are recent (September 12-25, 2020)
- In terms of top 5 regions with total cases: NCR (1,091), Region IVA (648), Region VI (172), Region III (160), and Region X (111).
- In terms of top 5 region with recent cases (September 12-25): NCR (921), Region IVA (589), Region VI (169), Region III (151) and Region VIII (105).
- Recovery rate is down to 77.6 percent with 494 recoveries
- 69 deaths reported today leaves the case fatality rate higher at 1.74 percent
- Most of the deaths are from NCR (33)
- Most of the reported deaths are recent (43 of 69 occurring in September)
- Fifteen cases previously tagged as recoveries were removed from the list after further validation.
- 133 testing centers (101 RT-PCR and 32 GenExpert)
- 3,337,853 individuals tested (around 30,300 tests/million population)
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- NCR and Region IVA continued to lead in cases. Region VI stayed in third, followed by Regions VIII and III in fourth and fifth, respectively.
- Only 83.7 percent of the data were up-to-date yesterday.
- The daily positivity rate has hovered below the 10 percent mark for almost two weeks but higher yesterday at 8.4 percent for the country and 9.7 percent for the National Capital Region for September 23, 2020).
- NCR will always be on top of the heap. With 802 total cases yesterday, Quezon City and Manila regained their old spots both locally and nationally.
- The top ten provinces with the highest cases were as follows:
- The top twenty cities/municipalities with the highest cases were:
- Eleven of the 17 cities in NCR were in the top twenty cities/municipalities in the country with the most cases reported. Three cities were from Laguna, 2 from Cavite, 2 from Batangas, one from Surigao del Sur, one from Iloilo and one from Negros Occidental.
- Case fatality rate: 3.05 percent
- The world has a new world record for daily cases reported with more than 360,000 new cases overnight.
- India continued to lead in cases and deaths
- France stays in fourth spot with more than 16,000 cases overnight, a new high for the country.
Feature story of the day
City of Bislig, Surigao del Sur (CARAGA)
A coastal component city in the province of Surigao del Sur, the city has a land area of 331 square kilometers and constitutes less than 7 percent of Surigao del Sur’s total land area.
According to https://www.philatlas.com/mindanao/caraga/surigao-del-sur/bislig.html, it has a population around 95,000 and represents around 3.5 percent of the total population of the region of CARAGA. Based on these figures, the population density is around 285 inhabitants per square kilometer (compared to 45,000 per square km in Metro Manila).
With 24 Barangays, this small city in the far south portion of Mindanao has 40 percent of its population belonging to the pediatric age group and almost 10 percent senior citizens, Bislig was number 16 in the top 20 cities and municipalities with coronavirus cases yesterday.
It reported its first case on June 26. In July, 3 additional cases were reported and 8 more in August. From September 1 to 24, they recorded 66 cases, the most which was tallied yesterday with 29 cases overnight.
Tourism is the major driver of the economy in Bislig City with natural resources as its main promoter https://trip101.com/article/best-things-to-do-in-bislig-city-water-adventures-in-surigao-del-sur.