In the land of Ethel Booba and the professional heckler, national elections can never be soul crushing disappointments—they’re material for the next tweet. Sure, punchlines and memes never actually changed the course of history, or helped anyone in any significant way. (Or have they? Set us straight in the snarling moss pit that is our comments section!) But they do give the Everyday Juan a reason to smile for two seconds in their existential dread-filled 24 hours. And while Manila isn’t Rome, shouldn’t we be allowed to play the fiddle as the world burns around us?
We’re being overly dramatic, but so are a lot of people on social media. Here are some of the best ones we saw online, including a couple from Ms. Gabison herself.
More about humor:
1. Best choice of photo.
2. Eleventh hour shoutout from one of our faves.
5. Started bright and hopeful but turned dark very quickly.
6. This precinct was prepared.
7. Version 2 of that caption.
8. But they didn’t let him go that easy.
9. Ethel doesn’t disappoint.
Retweet if done na bumoto ng magnanakaw. Charot!— Ethel Booba (@IamEthylGabison) May 13, 2019
10. Even if she’s overseeing developments in GoT too.
If you think #GameofThrones is ending poorly, wait until you see the result of Philippine Election 2019. Charot!— Ethel Booba (@IamEthylGabison) May 13, 2019