[All local data are information downloaded from the Data Drop of the Department of Health. The author does not own any of the information except the analysis of all data. Global data are referenced properly from Worldometers.info, Ourworldindata.org (European CDC), World Health Organization (who.int), and the New York Times. Where appropriate, additional information may be culled from other references or health agencies.
UPDATED MARCH 05, 2021
Summary for the day
- The DOH reports more instances of the South Africa variants in various spots in the NCR. The presence of variants could be the driving force for the sudden surge in cases. There are 3,045 new reported cases today, pushing the Philippines into the 30th rank, displacing Pakistan.
- There are 19 new deaths reported.
- The latest OCTA report shows continued rise in cases in the NCR, now averaging more than 900 new cases daily over the week of February 26 – March 4, an increase of 50 percent from the previous week and 119 percent two weeks ago.
- The positivity rate in NCR jumped to 7 percent over the last 7 days, increasing at 1 percentage point WEEKLY.
- The table below shows the top 20 LGUs with the most number of new cases in the past week.
- The new cases in Cebu City has dropped but slight increases were still being reported in Lapu Lapu City and Mandaue.
- Pasay City is the new epicenter for NCR with the number of new COVID-19 cases averaging 150 per day over the past week. The reproduction number in Pasay City is 1.83.
Nearly all the NCR LGUs in the list showed an increase in new COVID-19 cases, although some LGUs reported a marginal increase in new cases. The number of case reports in Davao City is on a downward trend, and its positivity rate decreased to 5 percent. There was a renewed uptick in new COVID19 cases in Baguio City. However, the high positivity rate of 22 percent, particularly over the past few days, suggests a possible spike in new cases in CAR.
Philippine COVID19 Update, OCTA Research Group, March 5, 2021
- On a more granular level, here is the list of barangays in the Mega Manila that have been churning out more cases accounting for the higher number of cases in the NCR in particular, and the Philippines in general.
The World (March 04, 2021)
- The world reported 383,353 new cases, lower than the previous day, pushing the total coronavirus cases to more than 116 million.
- Deaths were down with 8,065 new deaths reported.