[All local data are information downloaded from the Data Drop of the Department of Health. The author does not own any of the information except the analysis of all data. Global data are referenced properly from Worldometers.info, Ourworldindata.org (European CDC), World Health Organization (who.int), and the New York Times. Where appropriate, additional information may be culled from other references or health agencies.]
UPDATED FEBRUARY 17, 2021
Summary for the day
While the total case count took a dip yesterday, there are areas in the country where the cases are noticeably going up.
Based on the OCTA Research Group data as of week February 10-16, several cities in the province of Cebu are seeing higher cases. The cities of Cebu, Lapu Lapu, Mandaue and Talisay are seeing positivity rates beyond 10 percent. The hospital occupancy in Lapu Lapu and Talisay are now greater than 70 percent. Tabuk in Kalinga has a daily attack rate of close to 21 per 100,000 population and a positivity rate of 15 percent. Butuan has a high positivity rate of 15 percent. Meanwhile, Navotas in the National Capital Region is seeing 6 to 7 times more new cases per day than the previous two weeks.
The DOH reports 1,184 new cases, which is lower than the numbers from previous days. This is expected to go up tomorrow as more people were tested yesterday. With 53 new deaths reported, the case fatality rate stays at 2.09 percent.
The Philippines (February 16, 2021)
- Of the 1,391 new cases reported yesterday, Central Visayas owned more than 30 percent of the cases. Aside from Central Visayas, three other regions reported triple digits: NCR, CAR and Davao Region. Together, all four regions made up more than 54 percent of the total cases in the country.
- NCR landed second with a little more than 200 cases but enough to make seven of the 17 cities in Mega Manila land in the top 20 cities/municipalities with most cases for the day.
- The province of Cebu continued to lead the provinces with most cases for the day with 416 of 421 cases (98.8 percent) in Central Visayas coming from the province alone. The game changer was in the granular data. Cebu Province had three cities in the top five for the day – Cebu City, Lapu Lapu City and Mandaue City.
February 16, 2021 (The World)
- With 325,120 new cases reported yesterday, the 7-day average is now at less than 370,000 new cases/day.
- Reported new deaths was 9,296 with the case fatality up at 2.21 percent.
- While the US continues to lead globally for new cases and new deaths, their number of cases continues to move down, this time by 28 percent.