[All local data are information downloaded from the Data Drop of the Department of Health. The author does not own any of the information except the analysis of all data. Global data are referenced properly from Worldometers.info, Ourworldindata.org (European CDC), World Health Organization (who.int), and the New York Times. Where appropriate, additional information may be culled from other references or health agencies.]
UPDATED FEBRUARY 10, 2021
Summary for the day
Today’s report of 114 new deaths gives us an all time high of 2.11 percent case fatality rate, nearing that of the global fatality rate of 2.19 percent.
When the total number of cases are low, that only means that the National Capital Region reported more cases for the day versus other regions. Yesterday, 326 new cases were reported from NCR, accounting for 26.3 percent of the 1,235 cases for February 9.
Outside of Mega Manila, it was the province of Cebu in general and Cebu City in particular that contributed to the higher cases in Central Visayas yesterday.
The world continues to see cases lower than 400,000 per day, although the weekend usually reports fewer cases. However, the reported new deaths eclipsed the lower new cases being reported from several countries. The global case fatality rate for COVID19 is now up at 2.19 percent. The United States accounts for more than 20 percent of the more than 2.35 million deaths in the world, to date.
The DOH reports 1,345 new cases today, which shows a slight increase. The total deaths, however, follows the global trend as 114 new deaths bring the case fatality rate to a high at 2.11 percent.
The Philippines (February 09, 2021)
- Three regions reported triple digits – NCR, Central Visayas and CALABARZON. Together their 622 total cases comprised more than 50 percent of the total cases in the Philippines yesterday.
- Thirteen of 17 cities in NCR reported double digits, with Quezon City and City of Manila accounting for more than one-third of the cases in Mega Manila alone.
- The City of Muntinlupa, an LGU that rarely sees more than 15 cases, was suddenly in sixth spot in the NCR for the first time, with 20 new cases in a single day. It placed 9th among the top 20 cities/municipalities with most coronavirus cases in the country yesterday.
- Cebu Province continued its lead among provinces, accounting for 95.2 percent of the total cases for Central Visayas. Cebu City was responsible for more than half of the numbers of the province of Cebu. Cebu City also topped the cities/municipalities with the most cases for February 9.
February 09 , 2021 (The World)
- The world continues to record lower cases overnight with 398,515 new cases.
- New deaths reported was higher at 14,748 in a single day pushing the case fatality rate to 2.19 percent globally.
- While reporting cases lower than 100,000, the US continues its lead for new cases and new deaths. On the other hand, the number of deaths exceeded 3,000 again, pushing their case fatality rate up to 1.73 percent. The United States alone contributed 22 percent of the total deaths in the world yesterday.
- Of the more than 2.3 million deaths in the world to date, more than 20 percent are from a single country – the United States.