[All local data are information downloaded from the Data Drop of the Department of Health. The author does not own any of the information except the analysis of all data. Global data are referenced properly from Worldometers.info, Ourworldindata.org (European CDC), World Health Organization (who.int), and the New York Times. Where appropriate, additional information may be culled from other references or health agencies.]
UPDATED FEBRUARY 09, 2021
The day’s summary
The OCTA Research Group released its updated report on the national Covid situation. It shows steady numbers over the past weeks with a Rt=1.02 for NCR and the positivity rate at 4 percent over the same period with more than 17,000 PCR tests daily. The reproduction number for the country is lower at 0.96 (0.95-0.98, 95% confidence interval).
While the general trend is either a steady or minimal decline, the province of Cebu has a different story. Cases here continue to rise, albeit, still manageable from the healthcare perspective. Cebu City averages more than 120 cases daily (an increase of 30 percent from the previous week). The positivity rate increased to 10 percent as well.
While the world has passed the 107 million mark, it has taken 2 to 3 days to reach another million milestone. With declining cases in many parts of the world, the Philippines slips past Bangladesh to move up to 31st rank. Other countries are seeing decline in cases, and the Philippines holding it steady at 1,700/day is not good enough.
The DOH reports 1,235 new cases and 65 new deaths today. While the decline is welcome news, the higher death reports bring up the national case fatality rate to 2.09%.
- With decreasing cases in other parts of the world, the Philippines climbs one spot to number 31 among countries with most number of Covid cases. Yesterday, Bangladesh reported only 316 new cases (7 day average is 400 cases/day), while the Philippines reported 1,690 new cases (7 day average is 1,685 cases/day). As of February 8, 2021, the Philippines had a total of 538,995 cases while Bangladesh had 538,378.
- The OCTA Research Group released its updated report showing no noticeable increase in many areas in the country, particularly from the National Capital Region. There is minimal decline in the CALABARZON region as well as Davao City and Baguio City but a slight uptick in Kalinga.
- It is the province of Cebu in general and Cebu City, Lapu Lapu City and Mandaue City in particular, that are showing rising cases and rising positivity rates over the past week.
- Note that while the health care capacity in Cebu City is still manageable, there is a rise in hospital bed occupancy over the past week. The increase in hospital admissions do not necessarily translate to severity of illness and the numbers are still lower than when Cebu experienced an overwhelming healthcare scenario last July.
- The NCR is steady with an Rt of 1.02, primarily being dragged due to cities like Quezon City, City of Manila, Caloocan, Valenzuela, Pasig, Makati and Taguig.
The Philippines (February 08, 2021)
- Six regions accounted for 72 percent of the 1,690 cases yesterday with NCR leading.
- Quezon City, Valenzuela and the City of Manila contributed close to half of the total cases in Mega Manila.
- Among provinces, it was Cebu that recorded the highest number, with the province responsible for 95 percent of the cases in Central Visayas. Cebu City contributed to 60 percent of the cases for the province of Cebu.
February 08 , 2021 (The World)
- The world continues to record lower numbers with 351,365 new cases overnight. However, new deaths are higher today with 9,104 reported compared to the day before.
- The case fatality rate is up at 2.183 percent.
- The US continues its lead for new cases and new deaths, but reporting less than 90,000 new cases and less than 1,500 new deaths yesterday.