[All local data are information downloaded from the Data Drop of the Department of Health. The author does not own any of the information except the analysis of all data. Global data are referenced properly from Worldometers.info, Ourworldindata.org (European CDC), World Health Organization (who.int), and the New York Times. Where appropriate, additional information may be culled from other references or health agencies.]
UPDATED JANUARY 21, 2021
From the 1,783 new cases announced by the DoH today, it looks like many of the cases are likely from the past holiday’s revelers—as can be noted in the increase in positivity rates in the various regions outside of the NCR.
The sad news is that there were 74 new deaths reported, pushing the case fatality rate up at 1.99 percent.
The top five areas of the day shift back to two cities in Mega Manila – Quezon City and the City of Manila—and three provinces—Rizal, Bulacan and Cavite.
Note that the national daily positivity rate has been hovering above the 5 percent level, which means we are not testing enough and this may reflect on the ability to do proper contact tracing particularly in the provinces.
The Philippines yesterday (January 20, 2021)
- For the first time, the Cordillera Administrative region surpassed the total cases of NCR with 321 new cases, accounting for 17.2 percent of the total cases in the Philippines.
- Eight regions reported triple digits: CAR, NCR, Zamboanga Peninsula, CALABARZON, Davao Region, Ilocos Region, Central Visayas, and Northern Mindanao. All 8 regions accounted for more than 76 percent of the cases in the country.
- There were 6 OFWs (ROFs) that were included in yesterday’s report.
- On a provincial level, 5 provinces reported triple digits. Zamboanga del Sur took the lead with 213 new cases. The provinces of Benguet, Pangasinan, Davao del Sur and Kalinga rounded up the list.
- Zamboanga City led the cities and municipalities category in yesterday’s tally with 206 new cases. Five cities/municipalities in CAR were in the top 20 including Baguio City, City of Tabuk (in Kalinga), La Trinidad (in Benguet), Bontoc (in the Mountain Province) and Balbalan (also in Kalinga). Balbalan is a third class municipality with a population of around 12,100 and a density of 22 people per sq km. With 23 new cases yesterday, the total number of coronavirus cases in Balbalan stands at 90, with 84 of them occurring in the month of January alone. Nine of the 14 barangays in Balbalan have cases of coronavirus.
The World (January 20, 2021)
- With 692,772 new cases, the world now has more than 97.3 million cases.
- The world has a new record high of 17,604 new deaths, posting another grim milestone in this pandemic.
- While the US had significantly fewer cases yesterday, it reported 4,374 new deaths, the second to the highest number of deaths recorded since the pandemic began.