[All local data are information downloaded from the Data Drop of the Philippine Department of Health. The author does not own any of the information except the analysis of all data. Global data are referenced properly from Worldometers.info, Ourworldindata.org (European CDC), World Health Organization (who.int), and the New York Times. Where appropriate, additional information may be culled from other references or health agencies.]
UPDATED JANUARY 16, 2021
The DoH reports a 2,000+ case count for the second consecutive day (2,058). It also reports 8 new deaths today.
Four provinces are in the top five, with the province of Cavite leading the haul and Mountain Province debuting on the list. Only one city makes it to top five – Quezon City – which has 85 cases.
The Philippines (January 15, 2021)
- The National Capital Region had 393 new cases yesterday, accounting for 19 percent of the total cases in the country.
- Nine regions reported triple digits – the highest number of regions since the start of the pandemic in the country so far. Aside from the National Capital Region, the other regions with triple digits were: CALABARZON, Central Luzon, Eastern Visayas, Davao Region, Ilocos Region, Northern Mindanao. Central Visayas and Cagayan Valley. These nine regions alone contributed 82 percent of the total cases yesterday.
- The province of Pangasinan for the first time led the provincial tally with 141 new cases in a single day. The other triple digit entrants yesterday were Leyte and Cebu.
- Seven of 17 cities in Mega Manila were among the top 20 cities/municipalities with the most coronavirus cases. The increase in number of cases in the country is coming from other major urbanized cities in various provinces in the country.
The World (January 15, 2021)
- With 767,276 new cases (and 15,366 new deaths in the world), the global tally for coronavirus surpasses the 94 million mark.
- The world has passed the 2,000,000 mark for number of deaths due to COVID19. The global case fatality rate is at 2.14 percent.
- Japan reported more than 6,500 new cases for a single day, with Tokyo alone reporting more than 2,000 new cases – almost the whole total cases of the Philippines.
- While the US had fewer cases and deaths reported, the country continues to lead in the total count for cases and deaths globally.
- Four countries continue to report quadruple digits for new deaths. They were: USA, UK, Brazil and Germany.