All local data are information downloaded from the Data Drop of the Philippine Department of Health. The author does not own any of the information except the analysis of all data. Global data are referenced properly from Worldometers.info, Ourworldindata.org (European CDC), World Health Organization (who.int), and the New York Times. Where appropriate, additional information may be culled from other references or health agencies.
UPDATED JANUARY 09, 2021
The last time the country reached the 2,000 mark in terms of new Covid cases was December 18. We were a tad shy of doing that today with the DoH announcing 1,952 new cases (and 34 new deaths).
Two cities and three provinces are among the top five haulers, with Davao City reporting 143 new cases and Quezon City with 98. These two cities alone accounted for 12.3 percent of the total cases in the Philippines in today’s official count.
The Philippines (January 08, 2021)
- The PH posted 1,776 new cases, and one-fourth of that total was from the National Capital Region.
- Four regions reported triple digits – NCR, CALABARZON , Central Luzon and Davao Region – and accounted for 62 percent of the total yesterday.
- Ten of 17 cities in Mega Manila were among the top 20 cities/municipalities with the most coronavirus cases. Quezon City, Manila, Pasig, Marikina and Taguig alone accounted for 58 percent of the cases in the metro.
The World (January 08, 2021)
- The world hit another record high with 858,458 new cases and 15,489 new deaths in a single day, pushing the total to close to 90 million cases and more than 1.92 million deaths. The global fatality rate is at 2.15 percent.
- For the first time, the United States breaches the 300,000 mark with 301,655 new cases overnight. New deaths reported was 3,914. The US contributed to more than one-third (35.1 percent) of yesterday’s haul of new cases and one-fourth (25.3 percent) of the deaths.
- Spain officially passes the 2,000,000 mark and with increasing numbers in many parts of the world, there will be a major shift in ranking among countries with the variant SARS-CoV-2 in their locality.
- Five countries continue to report quadruple digits for deaths in a single day. They were: USA, US, Germany, Brazil and Mexico. These five nations alone accounted for 55 percent of deaths in the world yesterday.
- Sweden officially passes the Philippines in global ranking of most cases as the Philippines slips down to 30th in the world. As we all know, lockdown-shy Sweden is the only nation in Europe that did not institute measures as stringent as many parts of the world. Yesterday, Prime Minister Stefan Lofven planned to quickly deploy a new law that lets his government shutter businesses and impose fines, bringing his country closer to the kind of lockdown it had earlier shunned. The law, goes into force tomorrow. Perhaps a tad too late as their numbers have escalated to proportions difficult to control with a 7-day average close to 5,000 cases/day. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-08/sweden-plans-to-use-new-lockdown-law-soon-prime-minister-says