All local data are information downloaded from the Data Drop of the Philippine Department of Health. The author does not own any of the information except the analysis of all data. Global data are referenced properly from Worldometers.info, Ourworldindata.org (European CDC), World Health Organization (who.int), and the New York Times. Where appropriate, additional information may be culled from other references or health agencies.
UPDATED JANUARY 07, 2021
The DOH reports 1,353 new cases and 9 new deaths in the Philippines. Three cities and two provinces are among the top five contributors with Marikina City leading. The other two cities in the top 5 are Quezon City and Davao City. The provinces of Rizal and Laguna are the top two contributors to today’s numbers.
The Philippines (January 06, 2021)
- From the 1,047 new cases yesterday, a hefty 26.1 percent came from the National Capital Region.
- Three regions reported triple digits – NCR, CALABARZON and Davao Region, together accounting for more than half of the total cases in the country.
- Eight of 17 cities in Mega Manila were among the top 20 cities/municipalities with most coronavirus cases yesterday.
- The province of Cebu is closely being monitored as it is seeing a slight rise in cases in the region. Cebu City has also been among the top 20 cities/municipalities this week. Central Visayas was noted to have slightly more cases than Western Visayas.
The World (January 06, 2021)
- A record high of 785,683 new cases was recorded overnight pushing the total running cases to more than 87.6 million today. There were 14,625 new deaths reported as the death toll climbed close to 1.9 million cases. The global case fatality rate remains at 2.16 percent.
- Yesterday, the United States posted a record high of over 260,000 new cases, surpassing the 256,000 cases reported last December 18. It also reported a record high of 4,100 new deaths, its first time to breach the 4,000 mark.
- As the United Kingdom struggles with the pandemic, it hits a new record high number of cases with more than 62,000 reported overnight.
- For the first time since the start of the pandemic, five countries reported quadruple digits for deaths in a single day. They were: USA (1.69 percent CFR), Brazil (2.52 percent CFR), Mexico (8.78 percent CFR), U.K. (2.72 percent CFR), and Germany (2.07 percent CFR). [CFR: Case Fatality Rate].