Strike a conversation with businessman and art collector Mike Tomacruz and you will immediately detect his unabashed and deep love for art. For the novice collector, Tomacruz is a great source of information and is always a generous guide. His keen eye has assembled quite a collection which is the envy of many.
For the ANCX collaboration with top auction house Leon Gallery for its Spectacular Mid Year Auction on June 20, we asked people who love art, Tomacruz included, to choose their top picks among the 125 items to be auctioned off.
Since its debut in 2013, León Gallery has become the most trusted auction house in the country. It continues to set record prices for Filipino Old Masters as well as modern and contemporary artists.
Here are Mike’s top choices:
The common denominator in choosing these 5 works are the difficulty in accessing their works in the primary market. It would take a new collector years to be able to acquire the works of these artists from their respective galleries.
Zean Cabangis and Marc Aran Reyes have different styles but both have an ethereal look and feel to their works. One can’t help but feel the nostalgia in the works of Marina Cruz. I especially like the works of Mark Justiniani and Kawayan de Guia for its comedic and strong socio-political narratives.
You may also like:
- What would they bid on? Kim Atienza’s picks from Leon Gallery’s Spectacular Mid Year Auction
- What would they bid on? Julius Babao’s picks from Leon Gallery’s Spectacular Mid Year Auction
- What would they bid on? Dr. Steve Lim picks from the Leon Gallery Spectacular Mid-Year Auction
- What will they bid on? Miguel Rosales’ picks for the Leon Gallery Spectacular Mid Year Auction
- What caught her eye: Fe Rodriguez’s faves from Leon Gallery’s Spectacular Mid Year Auction
View the Spectacular Mid-Year Auction 2020 catalogue as well as register to bid now at www.leon-gallery.com.