Video by Ralph Cifra
MANILA -- Michael Jordan has become synonymous to basketball.
A six-time NBA champion and five-time MVP, he holds numerous records, awards, and titles, and in 1999 was named by ESPN as "the greatest North American athlete of the 20th century."
Now retired, Jordan’s legacy continues to live on as he remains an inspiration to millions of aspiring young athletes today.
Here are some of the most inspiring quotes from Jordan:
1. "I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
2. "If you quit once, it becomes a habit. Never quit!"
3. “It’s heavy duty to try to do everything and please everybody… I can’t live with what everyone’s impression of what I should or what I shouldn’t do.”
4. “To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don't isolate.”
5. “My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.”
6. “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.”
7. “If you’re trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I’ve had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.”
8. “Once I made a decision, I never thought about it again.”
9. “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.”
10. “I’m not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.”
11. “I’ve always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. I don’t do things half-heartedly. Because I know if I do, then I can expect half-hearted results.”
12. “There are plenty of teams in every sport that have great players and never win titles. Most of the time, those players aren’t willing to sacrifice for the greater good of the team. The funny thing is, in the end, their unwillingness to sacrifice only makes individual goals more difficult to achieve. One thing I believe to the fullest is that if you think and achieve as a team, the individual accolades will take care of themselves. Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.”
13. “I realized that if I was going to achieve anything in life I had to be aggressive. I had to get out there and go for it.”
14. “Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That’s truly about the game, and in some ways that’s about life too.”
15. “I would tell players to relax and never think about what’s at stake. Just think about the basketball game. If you start to think about who is going to win the championship, you’ve lost your focus.”
16. “You can practice shooting eight hours a day, but if your technique is wrong, then all you become is very good at shooting the wrong way. Get the fundamentals down and the level of everything you do will rise.”
17. “Success isn’t something you chase. It is something you have to put forth the effort for constantly; then maybe it’ll come when you least expect it.”
NOTE: BrandNews articles are promotional features from our sponsors and not news articles from our editorial staff.