The past years have always had Filipinos counting down to the most wonderful time of the year when the 'ber' months roll in; Christmas carols fill the air, dazzling tree lights dot the streets, shopping for gifts becomes a sport, and people go on a diet to make way for Christmas feasts.
This year may not be as festive as previous years, but it will certainly be meaningful. SM exemplified an uplifting way to celebrate the season with ''100 Days of Caring'' featuring 100 days of spreading love, thoughtfulness, and care for one another and the communities surrounding SM malls.
The virtual event showcasing the pledges happened on Thursday, September 16, 2021 over FB Live and WatchSM on YouTube.
100 days of Caring
To kickstart the Christmas countdown, SM pledged to donate to over 10,000 beneficiaries, namely communities in need, hardworking SM employees, medical frontliners, and dedicated delivery partners, among others.
Some of the beneficiaries and their partner malls are as follows:
• SM North EDSA is giving 100 pairs of World Balance rubber shoes to seniors from Graces Home for the Elderly in Quezon City.
• SM Megamall, The Podium, and SM Center Pasig chose delivery partners who will be recipients of 100 raincoats and rain boots.
• From SM Mall of Asia, 100 sets of care packages containing face masks, face shields, Ensure milk, vitamins, supplements, and more will be handed over to senior citizens within the community.
• SM Southmall chose SOS Children's Villages to receive various story and educational books.
• Metro Manila and Rizal malls chose several orphanages, namely the Associacion De Damas Filipinas, Bahay Aruga, White Cross Orphanage, and The Little Children's Home to receive 100 toys and essential goods.
• In North Luzon, 100 Aeta families from Zambales and Tarlac will be given grocery packs by SM City Olongapo Downtown, SM City Olongapo Central, and SM City Tarlac; fishermen in Pangasinan will be handed with fishing supplies by SM City Rosales, SM City Urdaneta Central, and SM Center Dagupan; while select tricycle and jeepney drivers in Bulacan will be given 100 pairs of shoes by SM City Marilao, SM City Baliwag, and SM Center Pulilan.
• SM City Bacoor will give 100 brail books to the Deaf & Blind Foundation Philippines.
• In the Visayas, SM City Cebu will bring smiles to the kids of Kythe Foundation with 100 toys, while SM City Iloilo will give 100 25kg sacks of rice to healthcare and peace & order frontliners. SM City Puerto Princesa will donate 100 grocery bags to displaced tourism personnel.
• SM City Davao and SM Lanang Premier will be handing out 100 farming tools to local farmers and SM City Butuan will be giving 100 Fiesta Food Packs to Por Cristo Foundation, Inc.
'Gift' for your mental health
Aside from one's physical health being at risk during a health crisis, mental health is also affected due to the stress and anxiety these times bring. And since the company believes in the value of taking care of one's mental health, Dr. Gia Sison, MD DPCOM gave a 'Call to Share' talk during the virtual launch. Dr. Sison is a mental health advocate and co-founder of PH Leader Livestrong Foundation. Her talk centered on how to cope during stressful times and still find hope for a better tomorrow.
100 voices that care
If there is one thing that binds all Filipinos together, it is the passion and love for music. While big gatherings may not be allowed this year, the audience was entertained with the performance of the Three Divas – Rahda, Frenchie, and Bituin Escalante; was later joined by 100 artists, singers, and SM employees and stakeholders who came together to sing during the virtual launch.
Sending a message that even though everyone is experiencing a global crisis and are spending the holidays physically apart, there is no need to forget what this season truly means.
To view the event, go to Watch SM on YouTube or SM Supermalls on Facebook.
For more information, visit SM's website and follow @smsupermalls on all social media accounts.
NOTE: BrandNews articles are promotional features from our sponsors and not news articles from our editorial staff.