Who bailed out dad of witness to Kian killing? Not us, says PAO

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 11 2017 09:17 AM | Updated as of Sep 11 2017 10:14 AM

Watch also in iWantv or TFC.tv

The Public Attorney's Office (PAO) on Monday denied shouldering the bail for the father of a minor who witnessed the killing of 17-year-old drug suspect Kian Delos Santos.

"Fake news iyan," PAO chief Persida Rueda-Acosta told DZMM. "Bakit kaya dina-drag ang pangalan ng PAO?"

(That's fake news. I wonder why they are dragging PAO's name into this issue.)

Delos Santos was killed in an alleged shootout with anti-narcotics policemen last August. The 13-year-old witness was among those called to the Senate to testify that Delos Santos was mauled by the officers, given a gun and told to run for his life.

The minor and her siblings recently sought protection from the Catholic Church in Caloocan.

Their father was then in jail in connection to a drug-related case, where PAO represented him.

PAO however only learned from the court that somebody had recently bailed out the father and that he had been placed under police custody.

"Sabi ng clerk of court sa PAO lawyers natin, nakapagpiyansa at may nagpiyansa. Medyo nasabihan ko ang PAO lawyers natin, baka makalawit iyun o mapatay, e di nagkakagulo kami," Acosta said.

(The clerk of court told our PAO lawyers, he posted bail, someone posted bail for him. I told our PAO lawyers that he could be in danger so we scrambled.)

Caloocan Bishop Pablo David meanwhile claimed that police had bailed out the father.

The father, accompanied by policemen, tried Saturday to fetch the 13-year-old witness from Caloocan's San Roque Cathedral. He later had a change of heart and decided to stay at the Diocese office with his daughter, ending a 2-hour standoff.

The Department of Justice will begin its preliminary investigation into Delos Santos' death on September 14, Thursday.

DZMM, 11 September 2017