MANILA, Philippines -- Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight contender Chael Sonnen claimed that he is done with the division's undisputed champion, Anderson "The Spider" Silva, and that he will no longer be seeking a rematch against the Brazilian fighter.
In an interview with ESPN, Sonnen revealed that he plans to challenge heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos, light heavyweight champion Jon Jones or welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre instead.
"I'm going to become the number 1 contender on January 28, but despite what you might think, I'm not going to use that voucher to fight Anderson Silva," Sonnen said.
Sonnen will fight Filipino mixed martial artist Mark Muñoz on January 28 in the second UFC on FOX, with the winner going on to be the number 1 contender for the middleweight title.
But Sonnen is no longer interested in fighting for the middleweight championship.
"I'll be looking at dos Santos, Jones and possible St. Pierre. I will take that voucher to Dana White and I will pick one of those three guys," he said.
"My time with Anderson is done," Sonnen added.
Sonnen was the last fighter to give Silva a true challenge inside the Octagon. At UFC 117 in August 2010, Sonnen dominated Silva for four rounds with his elite wrestling, but Silva was able to slip a triangle choke hold on Sonnen late in round 5 to retain his title.
Despite the loss, Sonnen still believes he won the fight against the Brazilian.
"I destroyed this guy back when he was tough, and that was years ago. He's so far over the hill and past his prime, it's not worth talking about," he said.
It was Sonnen who challenged Silva to a rematch at UFC 136. He even raised the stakes by saying that if he fails to defeat Silva, he will leave the UFC forever.
But Sonnen told ESPN that Silva is "yesterday's news" and a "cold product. "The bottom line is, I'm done with the guy. He and I have no business," he added.