Jazz work overtime for first road win of season

Agence France-Presse

Posted at Nov 13 2012 01:52 PM | Updated as of Nov 13 2012 09:56 PM

Toronto Raptors Linas Kleiza (11) goes to the basket against Utah Jazz Randy Foye (8) during the first half of their NBA basketball game in Toronto November 12, 2012. Photo by Mark Blinch, Reuters.

TORONTO - The Utah Jazz needed three over-time periods Monday but finally locked up their first road win of the NBA season, 140-133 over the Toronto Raptors.

Jazz center Al Jefferson hit game-tying shots to send the contest to a first extra period and then a second.

He scored 24 points and pulled down 17 rebounds, while Paul Millsap scored a season-high 34 points for a Jazz team that had lost their first four road games.

"It took us a long time, but we finally got it going," said Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin. "Guys did a great job of hanging in there, fighting and scratching. I told them that's what they have to do on the road to be successful."

Mo Williams made his return after sitting out Utah's last game against the Suns with an injury. He posted a double-double with 17 points and 14 assists.

Toronto led by 11 in the fourth quarter, but lost their fourth straight.

DeMar DeRozan matched his career-high with 37 points on 16-of-33 shooting, but Toronto were outscored 15-8 in the last over-time.

Jose Calderone, playing in place of injured Kyle Lowry, scored 20 points with 17 assists for the Raptors, who were also without regular starter Landry Fields. Fields missed his second straight game with an injured wrist.

"They went out there short-handed, but the guys played hard and left it all on the floor," said Toronto coach Dwane Casey.

Leading 87-82 to start the fourth, the Raptors stretched their lead to 11 points five minutes into the quarter.

Utah clawed back, and Jefferson hit the second three-pointer of his NBA career with 2.2 seconds remaining to tie the game.

"They executed, some balls didn't go our way, and Jefferson hit that big three," Casey said. "If anybody said those guys didn't fight, they didn't see the game."

Derrick Favors, who had four blocks to go along with 15 points, rejected Terrence Ross's last-second jumper to send the game to overtime.

The Jazz, who hadn't led the entire game, went ahead after scoring the first four points of the extra period to take a 108-104 lead.

But Toronto battled back to tie and regained the lead at 115-113 after DeRozan's dunk with 23.3 seconds left in the first overtime.

Utah responded with a quick score on a hook shot by Jefferson, giving Toronto the opportunity to hold for the final shot -- but DeRozan missed and the game went into a second over-time.

A three-pointer by Millsap gave the Jazz a 121-118 lead with 2:10 to play.

After a pair of Williams free throws, the Jazz maintained a three point advantage with 11 seconds to play, but John Lucas III drained a three-pointer for Toronto with 7.9 seconds left to tie the game at 125-125.

Williams then got to the basket but couldn't score and the game went into a third over-time.

Jefferson's jump shot with 30 seconds left finally put the game out of Toronto's reach.

© 1994-2012 Agence France-Presse