MANILA, Philippines – Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez guarantees that it will be difficult to “rob” him of victory in his fourth fight against great rival Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao on December 8 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Marquez has fought Pacquiao three times and failed to get the judges’ nod in all three fights. They fought to a draw in 2004, but the Mexican lost the two rematches in 2008 and 2011.
Marquez knows the only way for him to guarantee victory is not to leave the fight at the hands of the judges.
“Anything can happen if the fight reaches the distance,” he said in an interview with Boxing Scene. “This time, I’m going to fight in a way that will certainly erase any doubts. It’s going to be very difficult to rob me in the fight.”
“The strategy will be to look for the knockout,” Marquez stressed.
Marquez hinted that he may seek legal assistance if he feels robbed of victory again.
“Look, I’m going to go out and do my job, and we’ll see what happens. The Nevada Commission designates the judges, I have no say,” he said. “If I get robbed again, I don’t know, we would have to examine it from a legal aspect.”
Marquez has said that he does not want to fight Pacquiao again in Las Vegas, especially after the controversial third fight.
“We tried to get this fight outside of Las Vegas, because the three times we faced him there I was robbed,” Marquez said. “First with a draw and two by decision.”
“There was talk about fighting in Texas or Mexico City. Finally, the fight could not be removed (from Las Vegas) and again, it’s going to be in Nevada,” he added.
Marquez previously requested three “non-Nevada” judges for the fourth fight, and had hoped that the panel will be composed of one Mexican judge, one Filipino judge, and one neutral judge.