MANILA, Philippines – World super bantamweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire is reportedly turning down a December 15 fight against Mexican brawler Jorge Arce after the two camps failed to come to an agreement.
Ryan Maquiñana of Boxing Scene cited a source inside the Donaire camp who said the boxer turned down the bout “based on the current terms being offered.”
“The deal was not sufficient for him to sacrifice fighting in the opponent’s territory,” the source said.
The Donaire-Arce clash would have been held on December 15 in the Mexican boxer’s hometown of Mexico City.
Donaire is currently vacationing in the Philippines, where he has repeatedly told his supporters that nothing has been finalized for his next bout.
“The Filipino Flash” is coming off a dominant ninth-round technical knockout victory over top Japanese boxer Toshiaki Nishioka. After his win, Top Rank’s Bob Arum said he is hoping for Donaire to fight Arce next.
The bout was reportedly close to being finalized last weekend, but Arum told Boxing Scene yesterday that they are still working on the terms of the deal.
According to the Boxing Scene source, however, Donaire will most likely end up turning down the fight.
“Upon hearing the proposal, Nonito extended his vacation in the Philippines,” he said.
It is not the first time that negotiations for a Donaire-Arce bout has fallen apart. They were supposed to fight earlier this year, after Donaire’s unanimous decision victory over South African boxer Jeffrey Mathebula.
But Arce priced himself out of the fight, leading Donaire to fight Nishioka instead.