MANILA, Philippines – Former world champion and Puerto Rican superstar Miguel Cotto believes he has a lot left in the tank and is not yet thinking about hanging up his gloves.
Cotto had previously hinted that he would retire at age 30, but the 31-year-old told Boxing Scene that he has “no desire to retire in the near future.”
“We have not thought about it,” he said. “I said I was retiring at 30 and here I am continuing, almost at 32 years, with a lot of energy.”
“I’m eager to keep fighting, with renewed energy, as you saw in the last fight on May 5,” Cotto said, referring to his fight against American superstar Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Cotto lost via unanimous decision, but gave Mayweather one of the toughest test of his career.
“When I say I will (retire), I will and I will not return, which is why I’m still in the game,” Cotto said.
Cotto will face unbeaten American boxer Austin Trout on December 1 for a light-middleweight title belt.