Donaire expects hand to heal before Arce fight
Filipino Flash says he’ll get back in shape easily
MANILA, Philippines – Filipino boxing champion Nonito Donaire Jr. said doctors have assured him that his injured hand will heal in time for his upcoming fight against Jorge Arce this December.
“OK naman sabi ng doctor sa akin. OK lang daw kung may laban ako sa December,” Donaire said on Saturday.
“The Filipino Flash” sustained a cut in one of the knuckles of his left hand during his recent super bantamweight title defense against Toshiaki Nishioka.
Donaire said it took eight stitches to close the wound, adding that his knuckle got cut because of the impact of his power punches.
Donaire said his doctor explained that he tends to sustain a fracture in the knuckles or tissue damage because of the strength of his punches.
He experienced suffering hand fractures in his past fights.
“This time it’s my tissue,” said Donaire. “Expected ko na I get injuries but kung ano man it depends on the ring.”
Donaire also said he expects to get in shape easily for the Arce fight, which, if it pushes through, will take place on December 15, just two months after Donaire’s victory over Nishioka.
“I’ll be in shape, kasi kakalaban ko lang eh. I just had my fight… Kasi pag nag-umpisa ako [ngayon] 50% in shape na ko,” he said.
Donaire said he’ll initially concentrate on his conditioning exercises to allow his hand to heal first. The sparring sessions will come in the last month of training.
“So for me as long as I can retain the intensity in my training and then the last month of training, sparring na ;yun... OK sa akin 'yun,” said Donaire.