Overeem to fight Dos Santos-Velasquez winner
MANILA, Philippines – Dutch kickboxer Alistair Overeem will get a shot at the UFC heavyweight title against the winner of the championship bout between defending champ Junior “Cigano” Dos Santos and former titleholder Cain Velasquez.
UFC president Dana White confirmed the news following UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro last weekend.
“The winner of that fight will fight Overeem (in March or April 2013),” White said, as quoted by ESPN.
Dos Santos will defend his title against Velasquez on December 29, in a rematch of their battle at UFC on FOX 1 which Dos Santos won via a first-round knockout.
Overeem was supposed to challenge Dos Santos for the title earlier this year, but the fight was scrapped after he tested positive for testosterone. Former champion Frank Mir wound up taking Overeem’s place.
But White told MMA Fighting that nothing is set in stone as far as Overeem’s title shot is concerned.
“We’ll see how this things play out and what happens. Nothing is done. Nothing is etched in stone, but that’s what I’d like to see happen,” he said.
Overeem has a 12-fight winning streak in mixed martial arts, the last of which was a technical knockout victory over former champion Brock Lesnar in December 2011.