Bradley rematch may happen 'some other time' - Pacquiao
MANILA, Philippines – Filipino boxer Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao remains open to a rematch with unbeaten boxer Timothy Bradley Jr., but stressed that he has nothing to prove against the American.
Bradley shocked Pacquiao and the rest of the boxing world when he won via split decision in their encounter last June, but it was an unpopular result. Majority of the boxing media and fans believe Pacquiao easily won the fight.
A rematch between the two boxers was briefly considered, but Pacquiao eventually chose to face his greatest rival, Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico, for a fourth time on December 8 instead of taking on Bradley again.
"I chose to fight Marquez because we have exciting fights," Pacquiao told RingTV. "If I had chosen to fight Bradley, we would get a one-sided fight. It would be boring."
Bradley had been furious when news broke that Pacquiao and Marquez would fight again, with the American calling the "Pacman" a "chicken."
But Pacquiao shrugged off Bradley’s criticism, pointing out that he has nothing to prove against the American as he is convinced he won their fight.
"What do I need to prove to Bradley? What do I need to prove to the fans with that fight?" he asked. "I did good in our last fight. The fight was one-sided."
But in a separate interview with ESPN, Pacquiao said he was not closing the door on a Bradley rematch.
"There's a chance, maybe, but not now," he said. "Maybe some other time."
Pacquiao said the fourth fight against Marquez will be a "good fight" that will hopefully put a definitive end to their saga, which started all the way back in 2004 when they fought to a draw.
"I want to erase the doubts in the minds of the fans, because he (Marquez) is claiming that he won the (third) fight," Pacquiao said.
Pacquiao has a 2-0-1 win-loss-draw record against Marquez. After their draw in 2004, Pacquiao took a split decision victory in their 2008 rematch and then won via majority decision last November.