MANILA, Philippines – The much-awaited mega-fight between pound-for-pound kings Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. will most likely not happen in 2012, according to the Filipino’s adviser, Michael Koncz.
Koncz announced yesterday that Pacquiao will return to the ring on December 1, instead of November 10 as was initially reported.
The Filipino boxer has not announced who his opponent will be, and Koncz said it is highly unlikely that it will be Mayweather.
“We’re willing and able to fight Floyd anytime that he wants, but I don’t believe he is ready,” Koncz said in an interview with ESPN. “Floyd just got out of jail.” [http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8293531/adviser-says-manny-pacquiao-push-next-fight-nov-10-dec-1
Mayweather was released from a Las Vegas county jail earlier in August after serving two months for a domestic violence charge.
“(Floyd is) spending time with his family. He’s enjoying his freedom. He has money left over from the last fight after being in jail for two months,” Koncz said. “I don’t see Floyd going into the ring until next year, but who knows?”
Koncz added that he is “glad that he’s out of jail.”
“I wish him all the luck in the world and so does Manny, but I don’t see Floyd fighting before us this year,” he said.
Pacquiao is choosing among rematches against Timothy Bradley Jr., Juan Manuel Marquez and Miguel Cotto.
Top Rank Promotions initially reserved the MGM Grand as the venue of the fight, but after the date was moved, Koncz said it was possible that Pacquiao would fight in a different venue.
“Right now, they’re scheduling it for the MGM Grand, but I’ve had discussions on it with (Top Rank chief executive) Bob (Arum), and it depends on what opponent we pick,” he said.
Koncz said they will make the decision on Pacquiao’s opponent soon.
“We still need to start promoting it, and we should make a final determination in the next week or so,” he said.