Biker's death mars Cebu international event

By Caecent No-ot Magsumbol, The Philippine Star

Posted at Aug 06 2012 06:04 PM | Updated as of Aug 07 2012 03:53 PM

CEBU, Philippines – Ramon Igana Jr., a load controller at Cebu Pacific at Mactan Cebu International Airport, died yesterday after reportedly crashing to the ground and hitting his head on a concrete gutter during the bike stage of the Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines here yesterday.

The official cause of his death has yet to be known pending an autopsy but witnesses said Igana was cruising on the South Road Properties when he fell.

Igana was the designated biker of Team Tights Bugdo-Extreme, a Cebu-based team, in the endurance race.

After Benjamin Balaoro Jr. finished the 1.9-km swim, Igana took over and was bent on finishing the 90.1-km bike covering the cities of Lapu-Lapu, Cebu, Mandaue,and Talisay through the South Road Properties.

But, according to witnesses, he crashed and hit his head on a concrete gutter on the Talisay side of SRP.

Marshalls and rescuers said they earlier saw Igana struggle with his bike shortly before he fell.

Rescuers from the Talisay Rescue Emergency Assistance Team (TREAT) rushed to Igana and brought him to the Chong Hua Hospital in Cebu City. He was pronounced dead on arrival.

Cebu Ultra Runners Club president Tony Galon confirmed Igana’s death but organizers has yet to comment on the incident.

Galon, a close family friend of Igana said he along with Igana’s wife Dr. Humility “Mitty” Igana were waiting for him to arrive at the transition area back in Shangri-La Mactan. But Ramon never came back even after the cut-off time at 11:55 a.m.

Dr. Igana, an OB-Gyne and an ultra-marathoner who was also set to do the 21-km run, was later informed that her husband has been rushed to Chong Huas Hospital.

“The uneven repairs on the asphalt road in many portions of the SRP and the North Reclamation area made the bike course dangerous especially if you’re on a road bike running 40-45kph,” said Lorhiz Echavez who did the bike segment for the relay Team Matteo.

The incident was the second in the annual endurance race as one participant suffered cardiac arrest during the swim event in the 2009 edition in Camsur.