Jaro accepts loss to Japanese foe


Posted at Jul 24 2012 05:40 PM | Updated as of Jul 25 2012 01:40 AM

MANILA, Philippines – Former world flyweight champion Sonny Boy Jaro said he has accepted his loss to Japanese boxer Toshiyuki Igarashi last week, which cost him the World Boxing Council and RING flyweight belts.

Igarashi defeated Jaro via split decision in the Japanese boxer's hometown.

"We did not knock the guy out, so we lost," Jaro told RingTV. "I accept it." 

"From the very beginning, I told myself, 'If we will not knock this guys out, even if I'm ahead, we will lose.' I accept it," he added.

But his manager, Aljoe Jaro, refuses to accept his boxer’s loss, saying, "He won the fight, of course."

"I'm very disappointed with the decision," he added.

The promoter told RingTV that he doubts Igarashi will be willing to fight Jaro in a rematch, and instead is thinking about a potential fight against South Africa’s Moruti Mthalane, who holds the International Boxing Federation flyweight belt.

Jaro dropped to No. 3 in the THE RING's flyweight ratings following his loss to Igarashi. The Japanese boxer is now the RING flyweight champion.