I have a big surprise for fans in May, he added
Floyd Mayweather Jr. presents best female hip hop artist to Nicki Minaj as Lil Wayne joins her onstage during the 2014 BET Awards in Los Angeles. Photo by Mario Anzuoni, Reuters
Former welterweight champion Marcos Maidana got his wish after Floyd Mayweather Jr. granted him a rematch in September.
In an interview before the BET Awards, the American boxer announced his return to the boxing ring on September 13.
“September 13, [we're] back to business, Marcos Maidana-Floyd Mayweather Part 2,” he told LA Pen's Miss Kris.
Mayweather unified the WBA and the WBC welterweight crowns by outpointing the Argentine brawler via a tight majority decision last May.
But Maidana claimed robbery as he insisted that he dominated the American boxer in most rounds.
Despite the relatively dismal pay-per-view (PPV) record generated by the Mayweather-Maidana bout, Mayweather said he and his team wanted to generate huge earnings through the rematch.
The slugfest produced an estimated 900,000 PPV buys, which is a huge drop from the 2.2 million buys generated by Mayweather’s fight with Saul Alvarez last year.
“We're still doing record-breaking numbers on pay-per-view,” claimed Mayweather.
Meanwhile, Mayweather urged his fans to follow him closely as he is springing out a surprise for his bout in May next year.
“I'm fighting in May, I have a big surprise for you'all. Surprise! Everybody tune in,” he said.