MANILA, Philippines – The World Boxing Organization’s (WBO) probe may not be able to overturn the questionable result of the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley match last June 9.
But WBO president Paco Valcarcel said the organization can exercise its powers by ordering a rematch even if the two fighters don’t want it.
"We can't change the result but we did this review for two reasons," Valcarcel told ESPN. "If they want to make a rematch, we will approve the rematch and if they don't, we will order one.”
Bradley snatched the WBO welterweight crown from Pacquiao during their 12-round battle in Las Vegas earlier this month.
Despite a superior performance by Pacquiao, judges awarded the split-decision win to the undefeated American. Ring officials Duane Ford and CJ Ross scored the bout for Bradley, 115-113, while Jerry Roth favored Pacquiao, 115-113.
The three judges were handpicked by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC).
Boxing promoter Bob Arum was apprehensive about staging a rematch given the questionable outcome of the bout.
5 judges re-score bout
The controversial outcome prompted the WBO to commission five international judges to scrutinize and re-score the bout.
The five judges unanimously scored the bout in Pacquiao’s favor, 117-111, 117-111, 118-110, 116-112 and 115-113.
“We wanted to show (the NSAC) that they could bring in other officials from outside of Nevada who can also do a fine job judging fights. It's good to have different officials," Valcarcel said.