Donaire to meet with Arum on next fight

By Bev Llorente, ABS-CBN News North America

Posted at Jun 16 2014 06:16 PM | Updated as of Jun 17 2014 02:16 AM

LAS VEGAS -- Weeks after his victorious five-round bout in Macau, the WBA super featherweight champion Nonito Donaire is already planning for his next fight.

Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum confirmed that names are already on the list for Donaire's next possible opponent.

"Nonito is coming back to the United States and we are gonna talk with him but I understand, from what he said, that he would welcome a match between himself and Nicholas Walters, the regular WBA champion who is a hard-punching Jamaican. That would be an unbelievable shoot-out fight, the two best punchers in the featherweight division fighting each other. so, pending our talking to Nonito, that's the fight that i'd love to make,” Arum said.

“It would happen probably in United States but I don’t know if necessarily in Las Vegas," Arum added, saying the fight might take place in the fall.

"We gotta make sure that Nonito is fully recovered from those cuts. I don’t want him starting to train and then not really training hard because he is afraid to get hit because he doesn't want the cut to open. When the cuts are completely healed -- and we know that they're completely healed -- then he can start training and we can select the date," the veteran promoter explained.

The Donaire are still in the Philippines and are scheduled to be back in Las Vegas this week.

A rematch between Donaire and South Africa's Simpiwe Vetyeka was discussed immediately after the fight, as the 12-round encounter was cut short due to a cut above the Filipino boxer's left eye. Donaire won a unanimous technical decision, but said he was willing to give Vetyeka another shot.

Arum had been earlier quoted as saying that they will consider the rematch.