MANILA, Philippines – Top Rank, Inc. head honcho Bob Arum thinks that American Floyd Mayweather, Jr. is not yet done with his career, even if the undefeated fighter said in a video interview that he is taking a break from boxing.
“I'm saying, that's Floyd being Floyd. Until there's an official release saying that, I choose to believe differently,” Arum told the ABS-CBN North America News Bureau.
“You know Mayweather says a lot of things that he really doesn’t believe,” the promoter of 7-division world champion Manny Pacquiao added.
Arum is said to be holding closed-door negotiations for the botched Pacquiao-Mayweather blockbuster bout.
He continued, “I really don't know what's on his head… We really don't know. Let's see. If he decides he wants to take hiatus for a year or two years, I'm sure he'll make that statement in a proper way, such as a press release.”
The Top Rank big boss earlier said that he still believes the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight is still in the cards.
Last week, Mayweather said that he will take one or two years off from the sport. (Read: Floyd dodging Manny? Mayweather eyes 2-yr break)
“I want to devote my time to my boxing gym and just giving back. And of course, feed the homeless,” the boxer said in an interview with the Make A Wish Foundation.
Uncle Roger on Floyd’s retirement
Mayweather’s trainer and uncle, Roger Mayweather, meantime, commented on his nephew’s plan to go into a second retirement.
“I'm sure there are other fights out there, but since that's the biggest fight for Floyd, the biggest fight out there is Pacquiao. Whatever makes money makes sense,” Roger said on the BoxingTruth radio show as quoted by Examiner.com.
While he did not confirm nor deny Floyd’s retirement pronouncement, Roger let out a mouthful on Pacquiao, alleging once more that the Filipino prized fighter was taking perforamance-enhancing drugs (PEDs).
Pacquiao has filed a defamation suit against Floyd, Roger and other members of Team Mayweather for their PEDs allegations.
Floyd retired in 2008 following his December 2007 victory over Briton Ricky Hatton. He made his comeback in September 2009, defeating Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez. He then defeated compatriot Shane Mosley last May 1.
While Mayweather remains to be the opponent of choice for Team Pacquiao, Arum said the Filipino boxing sensation can also face Mexican Antonio Margarito or have a rematch with Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico.
The option to take on Cotto came after the Puerto Rican edged World Boxing Association (WBA) light middleweight champion Yuri Foreman on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) by a 9th round technical knockout (TKO).
Defeating Cotto would mean Pacquiao could take an unprecedented 8th world title in as many weight divisions.
Pacquiao claimed Cotto’s World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title via a 12th round TKO in November.
He defended his WBO title against Ghanaian Joshua Clottey last March 13 and followed this up with a victory in the May 10 polls, winning the lone congressional seat of Sarangani Province.
Pacquiao received the Fighter of the Year and Fighter of the Decade Awards from the Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA) last week in New York.
The Sarangani-Province congressman-elect is currently vacationing with his family in Mexico. – With reports from Scott Heritage of Examiner.com, Dyan Castillejo of ABS-CBN News, and Don Tagala of ABS-CBN North America News Bureau